Overlays stopped playing

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Overlays stopped playing

Post by radio42 »

@Dimitris:
So the system got stuck when reading the following 3 files (to create a playback stream):

Code: Select all

1.) S:\Audio\OnAir\Jingles\Ώρες\General\Η ώρα είναι 10-00.mp3
2.) \\192.168.19.19\Studio19\Audio\OnAir\Jingles\Γενικά\2009\Πρόζες μόνο Studio 19\S19 μόνο 41 Ενάντια στους ήχους που ρυπαίνουν.mp3
3.) S:\Audio\OnAir\Jingles\Εποχιακά\Χριστούγεννα\Jingle bases\Ella Fitzgerald - White christmas.mp3
If those 3 files do exist and are playing fine (now; which I assume as you once have send me some test files and the above have been contained, if they are still the same?!), I can only assume a network driver issue - the only other possibility would be a network issue within the audio lib during reading - which I guess is pretty unlikely.
Please send me those 3 files to inspect them! If they are all okay - it must be the latter!

As said, this is what I assume (a network issue), as I can see, that the thread got 'stuck' and is 'hanging' (probably not returning from an OS file open read call) and thus the overlay player thread is hanging as well !

As a temp. workaround you might try to move those files to a local drive to see if that helps!
(Note: If it is a network issue a reformat/reinstall would help much if using the same drivers/setup...)

@Bert:
Yes, please send me your log file as well - may be you have the same (network) issue. Are your files located on network shares/drives as well?
However, I guess it is not a general ProppFrexx issue, as I am running a dedicated Test-PC with almost an exact same setup (except using different files on local drives) and that runs without issues for days now!
hdradio

Post by hdradio »

Files sent.

Those files exist and playing fine!
And those files are not on a network drive. There are on the same PC but its folders are shared with other networked PCs.
As I understand you are saying that the problem can be anywhere except PFOA.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Unfortunately Microsoft isn't as clever as you think ;-)
When you open a file using e.g. a UNC path (like in your case "\\192.168.19.19\..." or even using a mapped drive, like "S:\...) those files are opened through your network layer and not directly locally...

Yes, that is what I am saying, that currently it looks, like the error is (as said) either in the network layer or within the audio lib (BASS) - or in a combo of both.
And as I am running almost the same here since days without any issue I assume a network issue.
If it is a network driver issue, a hard disk failure or somewhere else in the network layer is impossible to answer.

Why am so sure? Tthere are exactly 2 log-calls being made in a straight sequential order:
1. Overlay '...' PrepareOverlayStream (X entries found).
Here there files are opened, read and prepared...
2. Overlay '...' PrepareOverlayStream (X Tracks, Duration=..., LengthNext=...).

The 1st is present, but the 2nd is in your case missing - as such the reading of the files call is not returning and got 'stuck'.
If the files are not present or could not really be accessed at all - typically an error is thrown and the function simply fails, but it returns.
But in your case it does never return! - and that can normally only happen in case an OS call is hanging!
hdradio

Post by hdradio »

I don't know what your code is doing while reading and preparing the files to play.
Maybe the files are read well and the problem is on preparation.
I never had such a problem before. It might be the changes you made, enabling transitions on overlays.
And as I am running almost the same here since days without any issue I assume a network issue.
This is not a proof that there is not any bug. Not every user has the same settings and running the software as you do there.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

My code is basically a straight sequence of single calls the audio lib I am using to open those files.
Pretty much exactly like if you would do the following:
- open a new and empty playlist
- add those 3 files to the playlist
- select all 3 files and the righ-click and select..."Selection" -> "Container from Selection" -> "New embedded container"
- the new playlist entry is almost the same as in the overlay and you can double-click on it to play it.

This embedded container is what is being created in the above code mentioned.
And as said, it can not get stuck, except in the file open/read calls invoked by the call to the audio lib.

That's why I said, that currently it looks, like the error is either in the network layer or within the audio lib (BASS) - or in a combo of both.
hdradio

Post by hdradio »

It's easy to find out. Add more debug log entries after each file load.
XTended

Post by XTended »

Here also all music files on the same computer as ProppFrexx.
I also saw a data error in the debug file, but those errors start when I was do a reload of the scripts.
I will send you latest debug info. First Overlay News (news file is downloaded on ProppFrexx PC) starts good, but than suddenly the Second Overlay Commercials was starting while the First Overlay was playing (so news overlay "in-the-mix"). Before version 3.0.14.32 we didn't had this error....
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

@Bert I got your debug log, but that seems totally different!
I can not find the error 'HDRadio' was posting!
Why did you believe you have the same issue?

And where in the debug log should I look into - when did a certain overlay did not play or got stuck?

What I can see in your debug log are for example the following errors (really a lot of them!):

Code: Select all

21-12-2014 13:24:11: Find Track 'REMOTE:192.168.1.13:8088//Albums 0-9' data error: ERROR: No entry found
21-12-2014 13:24:11: Find Track 'REMOTE:192.168.1.13:8088//Albums A' data error: ERROR: No entry found
21-12-2014 13:24:11: Find Track 'REMOTE:192.168.1.13:8088//Albums C' data error: ERROR: No entry found
21-12-2014 13:24:11: Find Track 'REMOTE:192.168.1.13:8088//Albums D' data error: ERROR: No entry found
21-12-2014 13:24:11: Find Track 'REMOTE:192.168.1.13:8088//Albums E' data error: ERROR: No entry found
21-12-2014 13:24:11: Find Track 'REMOTE:192.168.1.13:8088//Albums F' data error: ERROR: No entry found
21-12-2014 13:24:11: Find Track 'REMOTE:192.168.1.13:8088//Albums G' data error: ERROR: No entry found
21-12-2014 13:24:11: Find Track 'REMOTE:192.168.1.13:8088//Albums H' data error: ERROR: No entry found
They indicate, that either the remote media lib can not be found or the libs didn't contain any tracks!
Note, that these are access to your media library server and the "No entry found" is the response from the MLS!
But those errors do NOT relate to any overlay processing - but to regular program/script processing!

So you might simply check your media libraries - probably you are using library entries in your scripts which doesn't exist anymore!

For the rest, there are 2 overlays contained in your logs and they played totally fine!
So please describe in detail what your issue is - if it is not the one mentioned above!
Looks like a pure misconfiguration of media libs...but I am not sure what your real issue is!
And please open another post/thread for it, as these are totally unrelated. Thanks.

@Dimitris: as such, Bert does NOT have the same issue as yours!
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

@Bert: It seems you have scheduled 3 overlays in parallel, with the following names:
a) News
b) Commerials
c) News+Commercials
All those have been combined - may be that's why you believe they played in parallel ?

Please send me you overlay calendar file as well as all related scripts etc. if needed. Your's really only looks like a pure (mis)configuration issue!
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

@Dimitris:
What about all my other questions in the threads:
- have you performed all the tests?
- did you also do a complete hard disk check and network stress test
I know, that this can only be done, if you have a 2nd machine; as the PC would be unusable during those tests...and they might take some significant time.
Any entries in the Windows Event Log at that given time?