proppfrexx crash once per two weeks

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
kzlosnik
proppfrexx crash once per two weeks

Post by kzlosnik »

Hello Bernd.
I've observed proppfrexx crash about once per week or two.
I've looked into Windows event log:

Error packet 1843612914124626009, type 5
Event name: FaultTolerantHeap
Response: unavailable
ID file CAB: 0

Signature:
P1: ProppFrexx ONAIR.exe
P2: 4.2.5.3
P3: 610D98D7
P4: ffffbaad
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

No other apps running but ProppFrexx.

Could you help me?

Cheers.

Chris.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: proppfrexx crash once per two weeks

Post by radio42 »

Unfortunately that error is very generic and doesn’t tell me much. The error also seems to be not common or a generic one, so let us try to find the root cause.

When a ProppFrexx error occurs, ProppFrexx will write that exception to a file called “Error.log” - please that file to me. It is contained in the ProppFrexx AppUserData folder, eg. %appdata%\radio42\ProppFrexx ONAIR\4.0

If there is no error contained in that file, it might be a system error caused by ProppFrexx, eg. ProppFrexx using a certain hardware device or driver. Hard to say from here. Bit the Windows Event Log should contain more details. Have you take a look into the Windows Event Log, if that contains more details, is it must contain more info about the error. Can you also please send that to me.

Also let me know what exact version and edition you are using and what action you perform, when the error occurs.

Many Thanks.
kzlosnik

Post by kzlosnik »

%appdata%\radio42\ProppFrexx ONAIR\4.0 there are no logs

I've sent you the logs over the email.

ProppFrexx versions included in logs (4.2.5.3 and 4.2.5.2). Professional-Edition.

During the error PF played playlist from internal hardware RAID5. I've sent you the script file.
PF is not connected to any audio hardware.
On the one channel mixer there is Stereo Tool VST plugin.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

The fact, that no Error.log file is written first indicates, that there is no direct error happening within the application. But caused by the application using the underlying system. The error is caused within a file called “ntdll.dll”.

The ntdll.dll file is one of the most important file in the "Microsoft Windows NT" OS family. Ntdll.dll is mostly concerned with system tasks and it includes a number of kernel-mode functions which enables the "Windows Application Programming Interface (API)". The ntdll.dll is also responsible for messages, timing, threading and synchronization in the operating system.

Unfortunately event log doesn’t tell use more details about the real root cause. But the most common reason is indeed a faulty device driver or hardware issue. There are other possible case, like viruses, a damaged ntdll.dll file, but I assume it is more likely a device driver issue.

But here it becomes blurry and a pure guess. And the real problem is, that I can not tell what might really be cause such error, esp. because it happens so infrequently and only every week or two.
I am afraid, except looking for patterns, any defect devise, available updates of any device driver, disabling or changing certain components is the only way to find the real root cause.