A doubt about tag usage.

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
claudius06
A doubt about tag usage.

Post by claudius06 »

Hello,
As you know, I use Tagger to define tags on my tracks. It's perfect. But I have a doubt about the configuration of the tags. It seems to me that you have created two ways to store the tags: on the audio file or in an external file. I'm not sure about what I'm saying. Could you confirm and tell me, in this case, which way you recommend?
This question because I copied, still for testing purposes, some songs that I tagged, from their folder to another folder, just to create a small test playlist using the Program Scheduler.
However, while the cue points have been saved on these songs, the same cannot be said for the tags. They exist on the source folder but not in the target folder.
I must have made a mistake but I can't seem to understand what that mistake is.
Do you have any idea?
radio42
Site Admin
Re: A doubt about tag usage.

Post by radio42 »

I recommend storing TAG data directly in the audio file ("Save MetaData TAG").

MetaData includes TAGs. So I can not say what went wrong.
But there are actually 3 places, as the 3rd place is a playlist. e.g. when you create a playlist, and open e.g. the PLF Player and close it again - those changes made in the PFL Player are 'only' stored in the underlying playlist.
So to store the meta data explicitly in the audio files, you have to click on the "Save MetaData TAG" button.

Also note, that you can additionally define in the general settings what exactly want to save resp. you can exclude certain meta data - maybe you did that?
claudius06

Post by claudius06 »

As you mentioned, I believe I forgot to check the "Tag" box in "What MetaData to Save" (see image).
What do you think about this configuration?
Is it possible to systematically choose the data storage mode in the audio file?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Correct, the 'Tags' option should be enabled for "What MetaData to Save" when the standard tags like Artist, Title, Album...should be saved.

The rest looks okay. If you want to automatically save the meta data to the files when you edit them (without explicitly clicking on the "Save MetaData TAG" button in e.g. the TAG Editor or PFL Player)... you could enable the "Auto Save MetaData to Audio TAG" option respectively.
claudius06

Post by claudius06 »

Okay, thank you Bernd, I've followed your advice. What about the tracks I've already processed?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Depends on what data might be missing. Else no impact.
claudius06

Post by claudius06 »

This means that the tags I have already added will not be integrated into the audio files?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I can not answer this question from here. Have you checked them?
claudius06

Post by claudius06 »

I checked, and it's strange: the tracks in my test folder Music3 include the tags when I display them in Tagger.
But when I create an automatic playlist via the script library and then Program Scheduler with the same Music3 folder, and I launch this playlist with Run Scheduler, most of the tracks don't include my MetaTags.
Now if I create a manual playlist and drag and drop the same tracks from Tagger to the empty playlist, then I can see all the tags I've created.
I'm sure the problem is by my side, but I don't understand what mistake I've made.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

When you are using a script, you are probably also using a media library.
If it is a folder based media lib you must 'Rescan' it in order to read-in all audio file's meta data (you have changed since you initially created the media lib).
When using a playlist based media library, you might need to open that playlist and re-read all the tracks meta data (Tags).