Timecode Window Appears Frozen

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
Luka C
Timecode Window Appears Frozen

Post by Luka C »

Hello,

throughout version 3.0.13.29 to 3.0.14.5 we have experienced a minor problem with the Timecode window/tool. While the rest of the UI is flawlessly responsive, this window seems to be unresponsive on one particular machine. When a track is loaded into a DJ Player and played, it's total length appears in the Timecode window but no counting down is happening. When changing preferences via the right-click contextual menu, differences are shown immediately but the displayed time value remains the same (clicking to display Pie Chart toggles the pie chart, clicking to display milliseconds toggles milliseconds display, changing colors of text changes colors).
The Timecode time value might occasionally update to a new value and freeze again. Such occurrences are random.
The problem appears to be happening on only one specific Windows 7 instance. The feature was seen working previously and was reporter "stuck" a couple of days ago. Relaunching the application does not help. Reloading or deleting layout files did not help. Sadly, I am unable to do a full reinstall of the software as this is the main playout machine.

The attached screenshot demonstrates how the Timcode window is out of sync with DJ Player A.

Kind regards,
Luka

---

DirectX Diagnostics Output

Code: Select all

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (Build 7601)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7721
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/25/13 15:17:12 Ver 04.06.08
Processor: AMD A6-6400K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3,90 GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Chip Type: AMD Radeon HD 8470D (0x9996)
DAC Type: Internal DAC (400 MHz)
Approx. Total Memory: 2141 MB
Current Display Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32-bit) (60 Hz)
DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled
DDI Version: 11
Driver Mode: WDDM 1.1
Attachments
The attached screenshot demonstrates how the Timcode window is out of sync with DJ Player A.
PF Timecode Stopped 01.tiff (234.95 KiB) Viewed 6573 times
hdradio
Re: Timecode Window Appears Frozen

Post by hdradio »

I have noticed too that the UI sometimes is not updated. Meaning that when I switch to a tab on the right panel, the rest of the UI becomes black and only the counters are updating. Then, when I move the mouse, what is at the cursor position, starts showing up.
To restore the UI I have to minimize and restore PFOA.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

That sounds like (an energy saving) issue of the display driver.
Unfortunately not much I can do about, as some drivers try to minimize the effort to refresh their screen ... so they try to analyze by their self which regions need to be (re)painted.
Unfortunately sometime they don't do a good job...
hdradio

Post by hdradio »

I see what you mean, but all the other opened applications display correctly and only pfoa has this problem.
Maybe the display driver doesn't love pfoa. :o
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Or .Net and then way I paint, yes, maybe...
There are so many possibilities, I recently had a customer who upgraded to the latest TeamViewer version...which effectively made ProppFrexx's UI behave totally slow....when remotely connection to the TVC session, all went back to normal, disconnection made it slow again...downgrading back to an old Windows save-point also made all good again...
So anything I can do about this? No.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

That indeed looks bad.
However, I can also not reproduce that here - so it must be somehow machine related.
What you can do is try to Update/Repair your .Net Framework.
And or update/repair your display driver - some display drivers do also have an energy saving mode; try disable that and see if that helps.

When the Timecode Window doesn't get updated anymore... does it make a difference, if you make your Timecode floating or move it around (meaning does it get updates then...)?

Else that that I would also have no idea what could be the reason...but it must be machine related, as it is not happening here (on 3 different machines) and you also say, that it is not happening on any of your other machines...