Unhandled Exception - Cartwall

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
ady7970
Unhandled Exception - Cartwall

Post by ady7970 »

Hi there,

I'm using a demo version of your software to try out the features and, unfortunately, within a matter of minutes I can go no further because of a bug. I get an unhandled exception message and, funnily enough, the 'Report Error...' button doesn't work either!

Code: Select all

21/07/2016 21:58:56 [v4.0.1.46]:********** Error/Exception Information **********
Error Message: Parameter is not valid.
Error Type: System.ArgumentException
Error Source: System.Drawing.Void ToLogFont(System.Object, System.Drawing.Graphics)
********** System Stack Trace **********
   at System.Drawing.Font.ToLogFont(Object logFont, Graphics graphics)
   at System.Drawing.Font.ToLogFont(Object logFont)
   at DevExpress.Utils.Text.FontCache.CreateGdiFont(Font font)
   at DevExpress.Utils.Text.FontCache..ctor(Graphics graphics, Font font)
   at DevExpress.Utils.Text.ConstDpiFontsCache.GetFontCacheByFont(Graphics graphics, Font font)
   at DevExpress.Utils.Text.FontsCache.GetFontCacheByFont(Graphics graphics, Font font)
   at DevExpress.Utils.Text.TextUtils.GetFontAscentHeight(Graphics g, Font font)
   at DevExpress.XtraEditors.ViewInfo.LabelControlViewInfo.GetTextAscentHeight()
   at DevExpress.XtraEditors.ViewInfo.LabelControlViewInfo.CalcTextBaseline()
   at DevExpress.XtraEditors.ViewInfo.LabelControlViewInfo.CalcContentRect(Rectangle bounds)
   at DevExpress.XtraEditors.ViewInfo.BaseControlViewInfo.CalcRects()
   at DevExpress.XtraEditors.ViewInfo.BaseControlViewInfo.CalcViewInfo(Graphics g)
   at DevExpress.XtraEditors.LabelControl.LayoutChanged(Boolean isVisualUpdate)
   at DevExpress.XtraEditors.LabelControl.OnPropertiesChanged()
   at DevExpress.XtraEditors.LabelControl.OnStyleChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at DevExpress.Utils.AppearanceObject.OnSizeChanged()
   at ProppFrexx.CartControl.tExF()
   at ProppFrexx.CartControl.<>c__DisplayClass7.<SetTrack>b__4()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
********** End **********
This occurs on startup and when mousing over any of the cart buttons in either Cartwall 1 or 2.

Any ideas?
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Unhandled Exception - Cartwall

Post by radio42 »

Bordering rude comments?
Sorry, I do not know what you are talking about. I do not want to be rude at all. If you felt being treated rude, that was not my intention - sorry about that.

As said, I have forward this issue to the UI lib vendor (which is DevExpress), as this bug unfortunately originates in their code and I am therefor unluckily not able to fix it.
I am already in contact with them and it will normally take some time, until they find the error and fix it.
Up until then, I can only hope, that we can find a way to solve your issue temporarily.

I did test the new UI lib version very carefully, and also the vendor did test it heavily - however it might still not be bug free. And as said, so far, you are the first and only one seeing/having this bug - out of many others - this does not man anything to me at all, as you are still having a problem (which I still try to simply solve). But I guess it is just not fully fair what you are saying here.

The issue with exceptions is often simply the vast amount of dependencies, from different CPUs, to different graphics drivers, to different OS version up to different .Net Framework versions.
So yes, it is BAD, that I am depended on another vendor and it is indeed BAD, that sometimes this UI vendor adds errors to his code.
But I am afraid, that there is not much of alternatives.
The UI lib I am using is by far the biggest UI lib vendor worldwide having more than 1 million installations. Even Microsoft is using it by their self - nevertheless they still make mistakes - as I do and maybe everyone is doing.

I see your frustration, but unfortunately the world is not free of dependencies and bugs.
And yes, I do like perfection, even if I am not always able to achieve it - but I am not trying to give up, a reason, why I try to reply quite fast here.

In addition, you already found a solution to it yourself I assumed at least. Use a previous version, which works for your case stable.
But else than all this. What do you expect me to do - else than trying to fix an error you have found?
And this even for you not having payed anything yet... so please, re-think your wording and don't be rude yourself.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Currently I have no idea, as you are the first one reporting such error.
The error report button only works correctly once you provided your correct email server settings...
The error however seems to happen inside a UI library I am using. I have already informs the vendor about this issue.

What you can try to resolve it, is the following (after you closed ProppFrexx):
Delete the file called "ProppFrexx ONAIR.layout". It is located in your ProppFrexx AppUserData folder, e.g.:
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\radio42\ProppFrexx ONAIR\4.0
Then restart ProppFrexx...
ady7970

Post by ady7970 »

Thanks for the quick reply. This only seems to be a problem in your latest version - if I use a slightly older version 4.0.1.29 then everything is working OK. Maybe that helps?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Yes, I already assumed this, as in that older version I was also using an older version of the UI lib...
ady7970

Post by ady7970 »

OK - so what are you going to do about it other than respond with matter of fact and bordering rude comments? I understand you've raised it with your vendor but two things are now concerning me about purchasing your software:

- Your reliance on another vendor without thorough testing of new releases of their software. I've seen other similar tickets where your vendor has been blamed for issues in your software.
- Your matter of fact attitude to this and other bug tickets I've viewed. No software is going to be perfect (though that's what you claim on your website - "do you like perfection? we do") and bugs are to be expected. The real mark of a company's service and professionalism is how they respond to those issues when they inevitably occur. And so far you've not so much as acknowledged the inconvenience and concern this is causing me. I haven't paid for the software yet, I wonder how things may be if I do....
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

The UI lib vendor just notified me, that they found the bug and are preparing now a bug-fix build for me!
ady7970

Post by ady7970 »

Hi,

Perhaps it's a cultural thing - because I see a lack of acknowledgement of a problem and comments like "Yes, I already assumed this, as in that older version I was also using an older version of the UI lib..." as being borderline rude.

But anyway - let's move on. Glad to hear the the UI vendor thinks they have fixed it.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I disagree, since where is a lack of acknowledgement, when I reply to you (without even having bought a license) within a few minutes (at almost mid-night!) saying that I understood the problem, but will unfortunately need to pass this to the UI lib vendor? Plus suggesting a workaround to which you not even replied? But maybe you expected more tempering word about how sorry I am... ? I don't know?

But you are right - lets move on and wait until the fix arrives...
ady7970

Post by ady7970 »

Something like this is what I was expecting:

Hi,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention - as far as I know you're the first person who has come across this issue. Looking at it, it would seem that my UI product, purchased from another vendor, has caused an issue here. Sorry about that - I'll do my best to get them to fix it as soon as possible.

Polite. Acknowledges the problem and apologises. Not matter of fact.

Seems that we're going to clash so I will need to think very carefully about whether to buy this or not.