Track-Insert Transition

You are missing a feature or need an enhancement? Post your suggestion here!
ExIT_FM
Track-Insert Transition

Post by ExIT_FM »

Hi Bernd,

Can you add some more options to the Automatic Track-Insert Transition dropdown menu in the Mixing per Media Type window please?
eg. Start with Next of Previous track and end with Ramp of Next Track.

Another question:
What is the difference between the option which has "VO:" prefix and the ones which has no prefix?
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Track-Insert Transition

Post by radio42 »

If something makes sense, all can be added ;-)
Can you please describe in detail, what exact behavior you are look for!
What should a "StartWithNextOfPreviousTrackAndEndWithRampOfNextTrack" transition do, if:
- the transition track is shorter in time that the time between Next and Ramp
- the transition track is longer in time that the time between Next and Ramp

And... as the NEXT cue-point of the previous track is by definition always equal to the CUEIN cue-point of the next track, I even assume, that this transition is already existing: see VO_StartWithCueInOrEndWithRampOfNextTrack.
If not, please describe what you are looking for and what is different to the above.

But...you are talking about more options... what others exactly?
I currently don't see many more ;-)

The 'VO_' transitions are different, because these will, in case the transition track is too long, let the transition track stay (as an independent track) within the playlist (as aid, only in case if bigger than the related cue-point).
For example:
If the transition track is longer than the ramp time, a 'regular' EndWithRampOfNextTrack transition will still start it with CueIn and thus might overlap the effective ramp position.
Whereas the VO_EndWithRampOfNextTrack transition would start such a transition track stand-alone before the next track actually starts and thus ensures an exact ending with the ramp cue-point.
Or in other words:
The VO_ transitions ensure an exact ending with the related cue-point; whereas the others ensure, that the transition happens within the related track.
ExIT_FM

Post by ExIT_FM »

Thanks for clarifying it, now I get it :)

Well what I try to achieve is to insert a sweeper between to tracks like this:
If the transition is shorter, start it with the Next cp.

But if it is longer than the time between Next and Ramp then start the sweeper with the Next cp. and delay the next track to make the time between Next and Ramp long enough. So the sweeper could start with Next cp. and ends with Ramp of next track even if its longer than the interval.

I have tried to use the VO_EndWithRampOfNextTrack transition, but it played the sweeper as an individual track. I mean its started to play at the Next cp of previous track, and the next track started to play with the Next cp of the sweeper even if the next track had ramp cp.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Yes, the behavior you describe is exactly what the VO_EndWithRampOfNextTrack transition is supposed to do!
And of course does the next track start with the next cue-point of the sweeper track - that's the whole point of such a transition - you even described it in your text above: and delay the next track to make the time between Next and Ramp long enough.
That's exactly what is happening.
The Next cue-point of the sweeper is calculated and set, so that the next track starts at a time, so that the sweeper ends with Its Ramp cue-point ;-)
So that transition is exactly the transition you are looking for!

The only thing you might have discovered is the the following:
If the sweeper track already contains a NEXT cue-point (before the transition), this next cue-point is being used as the cue-point to align the ramp-position to!
Meaning:
If the sweeper does NOT contain a NEXT cue-point, the transition is made, so that the sweeper' Cue-Out-Position ends with the Ramp of the next track.
If the sweeper does contain a NEXT cue-point, the transition is made, so that the sweeper' Next-Position ends with the Ramp of the next track.
And this behavior is by design.

So I guess all is there exactly as you need it - may be you just re-test the transition...
ExIT_FM

Post by ExIT_FM »

Well Bernd, you were right, it is what I needed, its working fine now :)
Thanks for your help!