Auto Sensing

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Farbo
Auto Sensing

Post by Farbo »

If I want to record MIC input channel everytime I speak through this channel shall I just set Auto Sensing Pause or Stop and set treshhold to let´s say -35dB? I was trying to do it this way but manual recording was not stopped or paused when treshhold was achieved.

By the way, what command could I use to launch recording of MIC input channel everytime it is opened (unmuted)? Shall I do it only with Event/Commands - Mixer - OnInputUnmute - MIXER_INPUT_REC_ON with parameter MIC and OnInputMute - MIXER_INPUT_REC_OFF with parameter MIC?

Hm, can I combine it with Auto Sensing, i.e. recording will be paused or stopped when signal goes under certaing level of audio?

What for is then Auto Start Recording used for individual channels? There is only possibilty to atumaotically start recording when perspective encoding profile is used. But I am not sure how can I use it exactly. Could you please explain? What if no encoding profile is used for perspective channel? Or PF always uses some encoding profile for channel?
Peter
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Auto Sensing

Post by radio42 »

The option "Auto Start Recording" (in the mixer channel configuration) automatically starts recording of the resp. mixer channel.
Note, that the 'Profile' can only be set to "<Default>", but not to "<None>" - as such if no specific profile is given, the default Auto Recording profile is choosen as specified in the general settings (section 'Encoding/Recording').

Yes, the "Auto Sensing" do exactly what you described. They can be used to e.g. automatically pause the recording, if the level falls below a certain threshold (and is resumed if above).
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

But when does it automatically start recording? On base of what event or state of concrete channel?

I was trying out Auto Sensing, it seems to be working. I just thought when level falls under certain level I will see REC button turned off or changing its colour so I know recording was stopped or paused. Output file was OK, PF paused recording according to defined treshhold level. I just miss some sign on REC button that recording stopped/paused.
Peter
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

Thank you, it would be usefull to see changing state of REC button without right click on it to see it is paused.

Hm, so best is to set Auto Start option for MIC channel and pause option for let´s say -35dB. Thus I would get the desired effect of recording only when speaking through this channel. Right?

Other method is to use commands as I wrote above, yes?
Peter
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Not really - maybe a little missunderstanding.
The 'Recording Sensing' dB value (and the 'Auto Sensing Mode') is ONLY used for manual recordings, but not for 'Auto Recording'.

To make it clear:
There are two independent recording modes for mixer channels:
1. The Manual Recording - which is only invoked if you press the REC button or use one of the "MIXER_IN/OUTPUT_REC_xxx" control-commands
2. The Automatic Recording - which is invoked when the 'Auto Start Recording' option in the mixer configuration is selected

Manual Recording makes use of the 'Auto Sensing' mode as selected in the 'REC' buttons context menu:
- Pause: The recording is paused/resumed once the level is below/above the general 'Auto Sensing' dB value.
- Stop: The recording is stopped once the level is below the general 'Auto Sensing' dB value (once stopped it stays stopped).
- Per Sensing New Session: a new recording session (file) is created once the level is below/above the general 'Auto Sensing' dB value.
- Per TimeLimit New Session: a new recording session (file) is created once the recording time reaches the general 'Recording Time Limit' value.
- Off: No dB level sensing, the general 'Recording Time Limit' value defined the maximum recording time.

Automatic Recording doesn't make use of any dB level sensing and is intendent to fully record the mixer channel automatically.
As such the only option is to specify a general 'Auto Rec. Time Limit' value (in the general settings) - which works like the above 'Per TimeLimit New Session' option.
Meaning a new auto recording session (file) is created once the recording time reaches the general 'Auto Rec. Time Limit' value.
Thus the Auto Recording always records everything and can just create a new file per time limit.
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

Ok, thank you. So in my case I would rather use MIXER_IN_REC command together with autosensing.
Peter
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

It starts recoding when the application starts.
Yes, such an indicator is currently not available - I might think about adding one.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Sounds like, yes.