Access through RDP and live moderation

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Farbo
Access through RDP and live moderation

Post by Farbo »

Bernd, do you have experience with live moderation through RDP? Idea is that on local machine is running PF and moderators will connect to it through RDP. But what about microphone delays and sound quality? :-(
Peter
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Access through RDP and live moderation

Post by radio42 »

Live Moderation via RDP (especially the use of remote audio devices) is not really possible, since once an audio device is configured and used withon ProppFrexx it needs to stay available.
E.g. if a remote audio device isn't available anymore (e.g. because the user closes his Remote Desktop) the application (ProppFrexx) couldn't use its audio device any more, which might result in a crash within the underlying Window audio driver.
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

Yes, but what if PF on local machine will have defined as input channel microphone channel (which will be default recording device) and then when moderator connects with RDP he will "overtake" that microphone channel? See attached config part of RDP where I can define (but did not try so far) remote audio recording. The thing is I do not know wether windows creates some virtual recording device when conncted through RDP or the remote machine uses still its default device.
Attachments
image33.png
image33.png (54.38 KiB) Viewed 9957 times
Peter
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

Ok, I will have to just try out. Bernd, you mentioned some time ago you will issue also some advanced remote control for PF. Do you have an idea what will this include?
Peter
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

No, not yet.
But it will for sure contain a simplyfied view of the playlist as well as the TimeCodes.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Just try it out.
As far as I know, the RDP will (if the 'Play on this computer'/'Record from this computer' is selected) create some virtual sound drivers on the remote machine.
TheoOrl45

Post by TheoOrl45 »

Using RDP, here is what will happen :

"Play on this computer" will create a virtual audio device in which your application (like ProppFrexx) could play audio on the local computer.
When you choose "Play on this computer", you can select "Record from this computer" which will generate a virtual recording audio device too...
=> Disadvantages : you can't connect to the remote computer that use a real sound card because when you use RDP connection, you only see the virtual RDP audio device (all the other ones are invisible) => Conflict !
I made a try few weeks ago : remote computer has virtual sound cards (Virtual Audio Cable). When I connect RDP with "Play on this computer" selected, I can only see the "RDP virtual audio device" : all the VAC sound cards are invisible. When "Play on this computer" is not selected, I see all the VAC audio devices....

"Play on remote computer" do not generate the virtual audio device when you connect. So, you can access to the real sound card of the remote computer. But, hearing the audio output is not possible using RDP. When you choose "Play on remote computer", you can't choose "Record from this computer" !

Hoping it helps...

Regards,

--
Théo
Theo, from France.
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

Thank you. It was helpfull. I´v already tried it but the delay was very bad, etc. Using RDP is not a good way. :-)
Peter