Best way to play files on a sequential mode

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Quentin D
Best way to play files on a sequential mode

Post by Quentin D »

Hello,
I would like to schedule a show a media library in alphabetic order, eg. two per day. It works using the song history, but last time I got a crash and PF hasn't saved it, resetting the song history. Is there a better way to do this ?
Another problem I had, as the files are tagged with the same artist/album, PF can't schedule 2 or more files.
Thanks
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Best way to play files on a sequential mode

Post by radio42 »

A crash would not reset a song history, as by default it is saved with every 5 tracks. However when you have a system crash it cannot be guaranteed in all cases, that all states are persistently saved at any possible moment in time.

The easiest way however is to create a dedicated media lib which is only used in that particular script (eg. a folder lib which you set to alphabetic order).
Then use the Sequential script-line mode.
But that way would not make any state persistent between 2 restarts, so PF needs to keep on running all the time.

A 2nd option is to use the LeastRecentlyPlayed script-line mode. But that wouldn't fully ensure an alphabetical order.

Both options do not require any history.

And last but not least you can continue your current way, and still use the history, eg. a media or script history. As normally a crash would only let you loose that last 2 or 3 entries in average.
Quentin D

Post by Quentin D »

That was not really a system crash but PF was not responding (probably because of a soundcard driver) and I had to kill the process, then after restarting PF I've lost the song histories.
But after that I checked "save every 60 minutes" in the configuration, maybe it will keep it persistent after a restart?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

You can even save it every 15 minutes.
Was that option disabled before?
Quentin D

Post by Quentin D »

Yes it was unchecked (in configuration, folder/libraries)
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

That explains it, as then the history is only saved when the program is closed normally.