Multiple Channels

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
inl_inc
Multiple Channels

Post by inl_inc »

Thinking of adding a second channel to our service sometime in the future - which will require another instance of ProppFrexx. Currently ProppFrexx runs on a Win2012 host with 64gigs of ram and 8 cores. The same host also runs 2VMs: LAMP sever and an Icecast server.

Can two ProppFrexx instance run on the same computer simultaneously? Or is it better to to run them on two completely separate boxes, or same box but in a VM? Are there any drawbacks to running two instances on the same box?

I'm most concerned with stability ... so trying to figure out if I need to get more hardware ...
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Multiple Channels

Post by radio42 »

Yes two instances can theoretically run on one machine using appropriate command line options, which still would require 2 licenses.
Stability in terms of audio processing is mostly affected by using a decent soundcard.
A VM with no physical soundcard might not provide a perfect sample rate as the system clock is used to emulate that, which might become unprecise with multiple instances.
So you might want to test this.
inl_inc

Post by inl_inc »

Of course I will need another license ;) - which I will happily get!

Just trying to figure out what the best hardware set up will be for multiple channels. The new channel is still a few months away.

My server does not have a soundcard (and any new servers that I get will not have one either) - I currently use NoSound Device [Virtual Sub-Bus] without any issues. I did follow your previous advice about the clock issues on a VM - so ProppFrexx is running on the actual Win2012 virtualizer host.

Given that there are no soundcards involved - will two instances of ProppFrexx running simultaneously on the same host be stable?

Is there anyone on this board who is running multiple channels - and would be willing to share their hardware set up?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

ProppFrwxx will run stable, yes.
If two streams/channels without a soundcard still run without issues is not guaranteed in the same way as as for one channel. I cannot guaranteed this. So you better try yourself.