Run to time

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
phonic
Run to time

Post by phonic »

How do you make a scheduled hour run to time without cutting music as you can with RCS, or even Playout ONE? I can't find any options to trim or stretch music to ensure a smooth transition to news on the hour. I can see options to start early or late, but that's not the same, and only moves the news.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Run to time

Post by radio42 »

I don't know RCS or Playout ONE and I won't compare.
However, a program has an Option called 'TryEnsreExactLength' - click on the '?' icon in the Editor of the program in the Program Scheduler to get more help:

TryEnsureExactLength: The length of the program will be ensured (at least that will be tried). Meaning, at the end of the program those tracks will be selected, that the final track might effectively end almost exactly on time. This can not be guaranteed in all cases!

Note, that this requires quite large media lib(s) with enough tracks of different length to make this happen.
In addition you can use the 'Soft' Start Type plus the 'Allow Start Early' and the 'Max. Early/Max. Late' and the 'Max. Start Delay' options.
phonic

Post by phonic »

Does that select music based in length or remove tracks and stretch them to a percentage as needed to ensure timings?

I’m currently using “allow start early” and “allow late” but still have music cut. I will try that other option(TryEnsureExactLength) as that looks like it will do the trick.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

As a program runs a script, and when it is coming to schedule the last few track, those script-line die get an additional (internal) filter to try to pick a time matching track. Time-Streching up to +/-3% might be applied.
This no tracks are removed.
phonic

Post by phonic »

Thanks for your tip. I will give it a go in the next hour to see what happens.
moogwill

Post by moogwill »

Hmmmm.. Hi all...

Question about this time strecth applied, can it be deactivated?
As I'm using some music video in sync with the tracks. I cannot have some stretching applied.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

No, that can not be deactivated. But normally no track is stretched! This is the last option, if no track is found. So please first test the approach/option - I assume, that in 99% of the cases time stretching is NOT applied.