Update playlist when updated from a different computer without having to reopen the playlist

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
phonic
Re: Update playlist when updated from a different computer without having to reopen the playlist

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 09 Dec 2019 16:17 Just tested it here - I now see what you mean and I guess this is not okay!
I'll take a look what has changed since I last tested/implemented the feature.
Just noticed the update. I will test it out today.

Thanks for your hard work.
phonic

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 09 Dec 2019 16:17 Just tested it here - I now see what you mean and I guess this is not okay!
I'll take a look what has changed since I last tested/implemented the feature.
I've not fully tested this new version out yet, but here's what I've found different:

It no longer ejects the currently loaded track when it updates, but it now reloads the deck(s) again, and changes the loaded track if positions change.

Is this by design?
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Update playlist when updated from a different computer without having to reopen the playlist

Post by radio42 »

Yes, that is by design! As the meta data incl. the segue and cue-points of the remote entries might have been changed. As such, the cue-in position äs of the remote entries needs to be honored.
phonic

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 18 Dec 2019 18:02 Yes, that is by design! As the meta data incl. the segue and cue-points of the remote entries might have been changed. As such, the cue-in position äs of the remote entries needs to be honored.
So just to get this right for the poor presenters: If for example the presenter opens his Christmas playlist and selects the first track "Joy to the world" and loads it ready for play-out, and in the control room they add a last minute request at the top called: "Silent night" and saves the Christmas playlist, the presenter's announces "Joy to the world" but track will be changed to play-out Silent Night?

Not verified this yet, but I would assume the solution being is to add the requests to the end of the playlist to avoid messing things up for the poor presenter? I'm happy to say it does not eject and change while playing thank god, as that would be annoying for them.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

If the ‘control room’ adds a track to the very top and saves the playlist AND the playlist wasn’t played yet, then the presenter is of course lost, if he doesn’t get any information! That’s why there is even a chat added to the control room window in ProppFrexx.
I would say this is a stupid mistake of the ‘control room’ making changes without letting the presenter know about it.

So the control should add tracks to exactly the position they want the new tracks to be played!
ProppFrexx does not make predictions where newly added tracks should be played. That would be total nonsense and would limit the original feature totally!

So yes, the feature you described works exactly as designed, as it allows last minute changes and gives full control to the control room.
Tracks are always played in the order they appear in a playlist - that is the design and I will of course not change this :-)
phonic

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 18 Dec 2019 20:35 If the ‘control room’ adds a track to the very top and saves the playlist AND the playlist wasn’t played yet, then the presenter is of course lost, if he doesn’t get any information! That’s why there is even a chat added to the control room window in ProppFrexx.
I would say this is a stupid mistake of the ‘control room’ making changes without letting the presenter know about it.

So the control should add tracks to exactly the position they want the new tracks to be played!
ProppFrexx does not make predictions where newly added tracks should be played. That would be total nonsense and would limit the original feature totally!

So yes, the feature you described works exactly as designed, as it allows last minute changes and gives full control to the control room.
Tracks are always played in the order they appear in a playlist - that is the design and I will of course not change this :-)
You'll be amazed of what goes on, and having to make a step by step guides(that no one follows or reads) so yes, one has to cover all bases to be safe.

It's not that they make changes without the presenters knowing, it's for requests, and so they do expect new songs to be added, it's just they will add them where they think the presenter can see them, so they say and the reason I'm checking from all sides before letting them play. I have to test and cover all bases even for stupid ways of doing things to see what happens. However, I'm working on a request feature for ProppFrexx ONAIR that the control room will use and will auto send send an alert message and add the tracks for them, so they don't mess things up. Hopefully I can get this done soon.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

This is what i can of course offer: an alert message or pop up which notifies the DJ about a change in the players.
phonic

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 19 Dec 2019 07:54 This is what i can of course offer: an alert message or pop up which notifies the DJ about a change in the players.
Sounds like a good idea. With the flexibility of ProppFrexx TCP interface it's really easy to add extra functionality like auto making a new playlist for requests or even loading them to the standby players ready for playout with an Alert message with request and message from listener.