Mic installation.

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Nootje2+0
Mic installation.

Post by Nootje2+0 »

Hello, here a starters question ;)

i connect my microphone with a Symetrix 528E to proppfrexx.

First I go with my "balanced output" from my Symetrix to my sound card is a Delta 66 sound card (is a jack connection) to the computer. And of course i put the microphone in the "input" of the symetrix.

Then I choose the mic in the main mixer in proppfrexx, and go to the "input device" and mine is Line 1/2.

And now I have only a mono sound only the left side?, and a huge delay?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Arno
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Mic installation.

Post by radio42 »

a) Mono Input:
Your sound card input is probable set to receive a stereo input (see Line 1/2). But a Mic resp. your 528E only delivers a mono signal output, as it is not a stereo device! I also assume, that the cable is not a stereo cable - thus it only provides an input to your Line 1 input of your Delta 66 - but to to LIne 1 AND 2!
Thus it is totally normal as expected, that the signal is mono only - typically the left channel is used.
One option is to double-click on your mixer input channel name to open the configuration dialog and select the 'Mono' option checkbox!
If that is not working (due a possible restriction of your sound card driver) and to still regulate this shortcoming and to duplicate the incoming mono signal to both channels of the input mixer - make a right click on the name of the related mixer input channel and select from its context menu the 'Processing' entry and select 'Standard Mono'.

b) Latency:
Welcome to the world of real-time digital audio processing.
By default Windows uses the WDM/DirectSound resp. WASPAI driver model. This is a very stable, but consumer oriented driver mode, which is NOT a low latency model. I.e. it uses a quite huge internal buffer (often a few hundred milliseconds) to capture and cache your audio signal. And this introduces a big latency until you 'hear' the input signal.
Professional sound card therefore offer another driver model, which is called ASIO and is used in professional equipment.
I guess your Delta 66 also comes with ASIO drivers provided, which you might need to install manually - check your Delta 66 user manual in order to do so.
Once installed go back to you mixer input channel configuration dialog and select ASIO as the driver model.

Important Note: It is recommended to NOT mix the driver models of your sound card!
I.e. you must also switch all other mixer input AND output channel to ASIO to achieve real low latency audio processing!

If your sound card doesn't come with an ASIO driver, you might try a generic ASIO driver: http://www.asio4all.org/

Else also do a little googeling to get familiar with low latency issues on audio processing.
Nootje2+0

Post by Nootje2+0 »

Thanks Bernd for your detailed information.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

And? Did you solve you issue?
Nootje2+0

Post by Nootje2+0 »

No, still looking for the ASIO driver on my soundcard (M-audio Delta 66)
The drivers for windows 10 installed properly, but i don't get to the software? can't find anything to convert it to "Asio". I don't get it? Proppfrexx mic channel now turns out well? but no sound yet because of this sound card settings.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

You get it from the M-Audio page: https://m-audio.com/support/download/dr ... elta-6.0.8
That's the latest driver available for Win7 only!
Else (as said) try the Asio4All driver.
Nootje2+0

Post by Nootje2+0 »

Thanks Bernd,

i know it is already installed, and also the Asiodriver.
Asio.png
But still no sound?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Note, that ASIO is exclusive, ie. it can not be used twice with another application in parallel. Are you maybe doing that?
Have you changed ProppFrexx mixer channels accordingly? Did the ASIO drivers show up, when you select the ASIO driver model?
You might need to restart ProppFrexx once you installed asio4all.
Nootje2+0

Post by Nootje2+0 »

Asio.png
When i choose for "M-audio Delta Asio" i have sound but with a very great delay?!
When i choose for "Asio4All v2" i have no sound?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Then try to set a Buffer value (below in the dialog) eg. 512 or 256 samples (when using the Delta ASIO driver)?!

If Asio4 All doesn’t work it is not properly configured, resp. It conflicts with the Delta ASIO driver. As said only one can be used at a time. You might need to stop ProppFrexx before configuring it.