Working with hooks

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
franksiegers
Working with hooks

Post by franksiegers »

Hi Bernd,

I've started exploring the hook function.

I have some tracks added to a playlist, open PFL for a track, enable hook mode and set some hook cue points. Then I click Save Meta Data Tag. This does store the hook points in the playlist, but not in the file (like "normal" cue points do).

In settings > metadata/waveform > what metadata to save I've enabled: General, CuePoints, VolumePoints, HotStart, LoopPoints. Am I missing something here?

In Auto Save MetaData to Audio Tag I've enabled everything.

Like I said, it is working for normal cue points, just not for hook points.

Another questions I have for the PFL editor: what's the best way to fine tune the position of (for example) the 'out' cue point? I would like to be able to select an out-point, hear it's current state and use the jog dial to move it slightly. Is this possible?

Have a good day!
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Working with hooks

Post by radio42 »

Unfortunately I can not reproduce the issue here! Maybe you just check it incorrectly...

When you have set normal as well as hook cue-points and then press the 'Save Meta Data TAG' button in the PFL Player, the meta data will be saved to the audio file once you close the PFL Player.
How are you now testing things?
E.g. when you open a new playlist drag the file (you just edited) back again into that playlist, both, normal as well as hook cue-points should be present again. However, not, that by default always the normal cue-points show up again first (this unless you set the 'UseHookCuePoints' option on that track - but be careful, once set, the track always starts to use the hook cue-points).
This means when you now open the PFL Player for the track you just edited again, will see the normal cue-points and when you click on the 'HOOK' button you toggle to the hook cue-points. Click it again, to toggle back to the normal cue-points...

For the fine-tuning of the cue-points:
Yes, you can either drag and move the cue-point markers in the lower part of the wave form with your mouse ...when you zoom into the wave form (using the CTRL and the mouse wheel) this is also very precise.
But you can also click on the cue-point buttons to check its current position; and click on it again to return to its position.
Once the red marker like is on the related cue-point; you can use the jog wheel to change the position (hold SHIFT to even more precisely change the current position). Once you fine the position; you might right-click on the cue point button (to delete it; if set) and then left-click on it set set its new position.

Please click on the '?' mark icon on the very top right of each dialog to get detailed help for each option - it is explained there as well....
franksiegers

Post by franksiegers »

Hi Bernd,

I must have done something wrong, because the hook cue points are stored in the metadata now.

Is there a way to have an alternate hook intro and separator? I would like to create several types of embedded hook containers, like "after the commercial break..." and "in this hour...".
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Yes, you can define the Hook-Opener, -Separator, -Closer per MediaEntryType.
Each track in your hook collection defines which one to use:
- the first track entry type defines the Hook-Opener
- the last track entry type defines the Hook-Closer
- the others the Hook-Separator