Memory problem

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Havenstad FM
Re: Memory problem

Post by Havenstad FM »

Ah of course, i will run without the UAC for a while - let You know the results.

Regards,
Jack.
Havenstad FM

Post by Havenstad FM »

Hi Bernd,

Thought to show You the results in the included screenshots. Without UAC in approx. 20,5 hours just a memory increase of 17,5 MB.
With UAC PF would have crashed already.

Regards,
Jack

Screenshot from 2020-08-11 16-19-21.png
Screenshot from 2020-08-12 12-47-41.png
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

A certain memory increase up to 400MB followed by a certain up and down even up to 200MB is totally fine. That really depends On the use and configuration.
But not a constant increase up to multiple GB!

So it seems somehow related to your UAC setup.
However, I cannot reproduce that on my systems.
I guess I would have to ask you to send me a zip of your entire config folder, ie. the ProppFrexx AppUserData folder.
Havenstad FM

Post by Havenstad FM »

Very well, Bernd.

Herewith i include 4.0.7z with the appdata directory of PF. But take it easy with these temperatures!

Regards,
Jack.
Attachments
4.0.7z
(200.28 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
Havenstad FM

Post by Havenstad FM »

Hi Bernd,

Since i didn't hear from You the past 2 weeks i thought i would bring You some good news.

After my holiday i spent this last week to replace our router in the studio by a new one. That replacement was ready by thursday including all the firewall and NAT configurations and low and behold: one of the results after this replacement was that the memory problem seems to be solved.

The main PF pc was restarted for the last time on thursday evening around 22:30h and is at this moment still playing with a total memory use of 20%. It started thursday at approx. 13%. I am still monitoring closely, but it seems safe to say that the cause of the problem was somewhere in the network stack.

I am not a networking expert, but could You confirm that the memory issue might have been caused by a networking problem?

With kind regards,
Jack Reitsema

NB. The reason we were planning to upgrade the router was that it was already 8 years old and it happened a few times in the past 3 years that the IP to MAC address binding mechanism did fail causing networking problems on the LAN. We already bought a new router, but due to lack of time i still did not replace it and then last monday we suddenly had troubles to reach internet addresses from the studio. It seemed every new ip address that was handed out by the dhcp server in the router did not get the correct routes and gateway causing the problem. Therefore i replaced the router this past week.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Hi Jack,

This is indeed good news, as I am still testing like crazy here, but couldn’t find any way to reproduce that!!!
And this would make total sense.
An application uses may system drivers, ProppFrexx almost all in the system, from network drivers (to eg. stream raw data to your streaming server), over graphics display stuff up to audio/sound drivers etc.

Any of these components are used by ProppFrexx directly and as such any memory leak inside those drivers appear like a memory leak inside ProppFrexx - as only applications are being visible to an OS, but not the individual libraries/dlls are traced.

Many thanks for that info, as I could never have found such leakage in your network driver ;-)

Many thanks for this, I assume we might clearly close this issue than here!
Havenstad FM

Post by Havenstad FM »

Hi Bernd,

Unfortunately the problem returned.

As You can see in the attached screenshots from the windows log PF crashed last night at approx. 02:05 hrs. There is no entry in the PF error log file, only in the windows application log. And only when i woke up this morning i could restart PF. Our station has been off air in between.

At this moment i can see the memory filling up again.

So what changed? Only thing i can think of is that the system was restarted yesterday morning around 09:15 hrs. And as this was the first restart after the replacement of the router windows did ask the Defender question 'Do You want this computer to be discoverable by other computers on your network?' which i answered with yes. After that moment the memory problem appeared again.

Apparently the problem is both network related and also uac related?

Regards, Jack.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-09-06 13-45-10.png
Screenshot from 2020-09-06 13-45-41.png
Screenshot from 2020-09-06 13-46-47.png
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

This sounds to me, as if it network related. Or network driver related.

As far as I can tell no other customer has this issue, nor could I reproduce the issue with using your settings on any of my 3 test systems.

So I am as lost as you are.
As far as I remember does the issue also not appear on your 2nd PC?
Havenstad FM

Post by Havenstad FM »

Good Morning Bernd,

Yes, i had the second machine shadowplaying for the last 3 weeks without UAC and it has no problem.

Just to be sure i just restarted that pc, turned on the UAC in PF again and am now running PF to see what happens. I will let You know later today.

Regards, Jack.
Havenstad FM

Post by Havenstad FM »

Bernd,

Yes, with UAC turned on this pc has the memory problem also.
That seems to indicate that it is not just a networking problem, is it?

Regards, Jack.