Import library using .pfmd files

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
sokl1
Import library using .pfmd files

Post by sokl1 »

Hello,

I try to import a large library of files using script-generated pfmd files along audio files (wav MPEG1L2, wav PCM, mp3, etc.) to get all metadata currently available in the system (text fields, mood, cue points, etc.) I followed examples of the pfmd structure to generate them.
But then when Proppfrexx accesses the pfmd file, it removes most of the tags but don't import them in the library or tags in the media file.

Is there another way to import a well documented database in Proppfrexx libraries? Or the pfmd is supposed to work?

Thank you for your assistance, best regards
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Import library using .pfmd files

Post by radio42 »

Can you explain how you actually import the meta data?!
Have you created the .pfmd files yourself? Maybe you made an error here? Maybe you already created a media lib beforehand?
How do you import and from where exactly?

In the end, please submit a test audio and related .pfmd file.
sokl1

Post by sokl1 »

I created pfmd files using a script. My first mistake was to not encode the strings correctly. Now it seems to be OK.
I open the folder containing the files with Proppfrexx Tagger.
I can see the metadatas but as soon as I change and save something, several fields are trashed and other added. After folder refresh, at least title and artist are gone.
Please find a sample file attached here : https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/bb9c18b ... 769e7ec008

Or do you have another tool to import a large library?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

If it now works, that is fine. Creating .pfmd files by a script means, that you are doing it yourself, this is not a ProppFrexx function.
You might want to either ALWAYS use the .pfmd files or never (but use the TAG data in the files).
I suggest, that ONCE you imported all .pfmd files correctly, you SAVE all TAG data to the audio files! And after that don't use the .pfmd files anymore.

Note, that when you only save the meta data in the TAG Editor, i.e. the simply click the Save button (without also saving the changes into the .pfmd files using the related button). I guess this is what you are experiencing, that TAG data from the audio files are getting out of sync.
sokl1

Post by sokl1 »

I thought it was working but it is still not really OK. I think Tagger is not writing TAG data in the files, I don't know why. By the way not writing changes I do in Tagger.
OK, I understood that for the moment I should only use "Save to .pfmd" but it doesn't work. If I save, most of the fields are destroyed (title, artist, etc.)
I don't see the audio file update time changed when I save it. I assume nothing is written in the file.
Can you check on your side please? Thank you

By the way and using that kind of method, how should I import and link the covers?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

It is! (Tagger writing .pfmd as well as TAGs)
No, once imported you should not use "Save to .pfmd" anymode - i.e. only import from .pfmd once and then throw these .pfmd files away!

BUT...
I just looked into your .wav file and unfortunately it is not a valid RIFF/WAVE file! The file does not begin with RIFF or RF64 identifier - as such, no tag data can be saved or read from it!
I.e. it might still be possible to play the file (ProppFrexx is very relaxed on this) - but writing TAG data to that file is impossible (same for reading!)Looks like might have an issue here - probably also with many other files.?
sokl1

Post by sokl1 »

OK so I better understand your idea and also why some fields are lost. I will try with different files to evaluate the situation.
From what I know, most of the files were in MPEG 1 Layer 2 format (256 or 384 kbit/s), probably encoded by WinMedia a few years ago. I don't know which conformity has (or had) WinMedia to BWF/EBU standards. Would you suggest to transcode everything to linear PCM for example?

A playlist (pfp or any other format) would be a better way to go or our strategy with pfmd is OK in your opinion?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I wouldn’t use MP2.
Wave is just fine.
I can only see that your.wav files are corrupted or not wave files having any RIFF tag - as written.
So yes, correct those.