Metadata (TAG) written into the audio file (mp3) destroying sound.

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
kzlosnik
Metadata (TAG) written into the audio file (mp3) destroying sound.

Post by kzlosnik »

I observed that in some audio files that metadata has been written into the file (ISRC codes for an example) using ProppFrexx's TAG EDIT function, after that sound from that file sounds like the gramophone needle slides on the record surface.
I had to remove destroyed file and rewrite it from the original file.

It very often happened with mp3 files.

I saw that ProppFrexx can write additional data (TAGs like ISRC codes) to "external file". What should be checked in the preference panel?
I am a little bit confused.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Metadata (TAG) written into the audio file (mp3) destroying sound.

Post by radio42 »

Unfortunately myself and also any other user has ever reported or experienced this. I even doubt, that this is happening at all, especially with MP3 files which use ID3 v1 or v2 tags.
Please send a test audio file to demonstrate or showcase that case, which proves your assumption!
kzlosnik

Post by kzlosnik »

I am not 100% sure. I asked a question if it is even possible. If not, it could be something with my RAID. The file has been broken just after I clicked the save TAG button, that is why I thought it might be suspicious.
kzlosnik

Post by kzlosnik »

unfortunately it must be something wrong with ProppFrexx. Yesterday the attached file was perfect, today ProppFrexx did write something into the file ( ACPD or something ) and the result you might hear. I can't attach any audio file. So you will not hear anything. Pretty smart. don't ya? :D
kzlosnik

Post by kzlosnik »

I've just sent the broken audio file straight to your email.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I received your file thanks!
But unfortunately the MP3 has many many un-synced MP3 frames and is full of errors.
It has scattered 450395 (3%) errors, i.e. unidentified bytes all over. This is impossible to come from ProppFrexx!
ProppFrexx has written millions of MP3s without error, so I am pretty sure, that this behavior can not come from ProppFrexx.

It more looks like the file itself got corrupted. Note that there is not a single file error, but many all over the file.
When ProppFrexx write TAG data to the file it only writes it to a single place. But must sometimes extend and shift other data for it.
It might be, there your file system is not okay at that place, but this would mean, that your system and OS file system is corrupt.
Please try to use a different system and try there.
But it is obviously not ProppFrexx.
kzlosnik

Post by kzlosnik »

My file system is controlled by Hardware RAID card. I've double checked the NTFS file system as well as the RAID 5. I had no errors. ProppFrexx constantly saving something into the audio file just after it is played. Of course the sent audio mp3 file is broken I told you. But. Yesterday I've listened that file and it was OK.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

That is all correct. I just said, that I very much believe, that it’s not ProppFrexx.
You can even use .pfmd files and set an option, that ProppFrexx never ever saves something to the audio files.
ProppFrexx also does NOT constantly saves something to the file. ProppFrexx might ONLY saves mata data to it and ONLY when you do so.

As said, try it out on a different system, to see if it does the same there.
If it would be a general issue, hundreds of users would complain.
In addition are there a load of sync errors in the file, which cannot come from writing TAGs to the file.

You can even send me the original mp3 file, I do Write tag data to it and send it back to you!
kzlosnik

Post by kzlosnik »

"ProppFrexx also does NOT constantly saves something to the file"
THAT IS NOT TRUE. I uploaded audio files a month ago. And as you may see on attached screen shot the modification date of those files is changing just after the file was played out. So, how magically it is possible?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
kzlosnik

Post by kzlosnik »

and to prove it... I attached playlist log history straight out of the ProppFrexx.
Attachments
Captur1.JPG