Completely hide jingles from metadata in stream?

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
franksiegers
Completely hide jingles from metadata in stream?

Post by franksiegers »

Hi Bernd,

Is it possible to hide jingles completely from stream updates so they won't show up in my web players history?

I've tried tagging them as jingles. Then in Streaming settings enabled Streaming Option 'Use MediaType for Excluded Tracks'.

Where can I define which tracks to exclude? All I found was Exclude from Title Update. I've selected Jingle here. Now the Jingle shows in the web player as artist: Undefined, title: Jingle.

Thanks,

Frank
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Completely hide jingles from metadata in stream?

Post by radio42 »

Yes.
In the general settings, section Streaming you can Exclude certain media entry types from the title update (just like you explained it).
That is the Cory place!

But you need to tag the tracks accordingly. Or even use the Default media type for those jingle cartwall libs.
If the entry type of a track matches one defined in the exclude list no title update will happen.

The first option is not needed!, but would just replace the real title by the name of the media type.

As a tip; click on the ‘?’ Icon at the very top right of the dialog to get detailed help on each option in that dialog.
franksiegers

Post by franksiegers »

Hi Bernd,

The default media type for those cartwalls already was Jingle. These are Folder Based. The jingles are added by the script and also show up as media type Jingle. So, why would they still show up in the meta data?

Do I need to set Title update format or some other parameter?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I am not sure what you mean?
In the playlist etc. they of course show up, as they are played!
The ‘Exclude from Title Update’ option just excludes them from updating those towards the streaming server, so the the listeners don’t get those title updates.
Just tested it and it works as designed.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve?
franksiegers

Post by franksiegers »

I'm using this web player. It has a history feature that contains all tracks played. I would like to prevent jingles (and news, commercials etc) from showing up in the history feed.

Not sure if this is something that can be done in PFOA or needs to be handled by the player...
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

This is exactly what the bespike setting is doing!
Except you manually update the song title and don’t use all the default features and options!?

As said,
I tested it here and it works.
You can even enable the status bar of the Network Streamong Monitor window. It shows all title updates send to the server.
sokl1

Post by sokl1 »

Dear Bernd,
We had the same problem while using the Playlist.OnTrackPlay event to distribute metadata information to several tools. Is it possible to have a specific Playlist event using the same filters as in the Streaming section? From what I have seen, the ontrackplay event is fired a few seconds earlier than its "equivalent" in the streaming section.
By the way, as we can define a default title (or overlay/schedule name, etc.) is there a way to send default covers (station logo, etc.) in those conditions?
Thank you in advance.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

The Event 'Playlist.OnTrackPlay' does not apply any streaming filters.
So you should use the 'Streaming.OnSongTitleChanged' event instead - that's what it is even for!

No, a default cover doesn't exist yet, but that should easily be implemented on your web-site, as in those cases also no albumart could be delivered?!
sokl1

Post by sokl1 »

OK, thank you, so we will use only 'Streaming.OnSongTitleChanged'. Can you confirm when the event occurs in comparison with 'Playlist.OnTrackPlay' please? Is it something we can adjust somewhere?

Regarding the covers, we don't send them only on a website. They're sent to different radio platforms and DAB+ receivers. Maybe you have an idea on how to illustrate shows, talks, VT, news, etc that way? Of course we can do it externally but if it could be integrated and linked with ProppFrexx overlays, schedule names, etc. in the future it would be really interesting.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

The OnSongTitleChanged event follows right after the OnTrackPlay event, but includes more player (e.g. Overlay, ModStream etc.), whereas the OnTrackPlay event is a pure playlist event.
Both however run independent in their own threads. OnSongTitleChanged event might be delay a few milliseconds up to max. 1 sec to wait for finishing some internal history stuff. But in my tests they run almost together in parallel - i.e. I do not recognize multiple seconds of delay! And there is as such nothing to adjust or configure.
Please place on both events as the first! command the following:
SHOW_ALERT_WINDOW OnTrackPlay
resp.
SHOW_ALERT_WINDOW OnSongTitleChanged

Then you will see the delta. How do you measure the delta/delay?
Maybe you placed multiple control-commands in the related events and as such, they are by default executed synchronously one after the other and one of the commands simply take their time?

There is currently no way to send pictures to a streaming server to update the 'album art' manually. This is currently anyhow only supported by the SHOUTcast v2 protocol. And here you have a dedicated station logo regardless. This can be set via the 'Show Image', which you define under your User Settings (top right user icon) under the Images tab.

When sending pictures to other platforms, I guess you anyhow do so by using e.g. the EXEC_SEND_HTTP/TCP or alike commands? Meaning you update those manually.
In that case you might for example set the Program Option 'SuppressSongTitleUpdates for that specific program in order to not trigger any OnSongTitleChanged event, but instead set the SongTitle and Picture manually within your manually, eg. in the 'On Program Started' event of the related program scheduler entry.
The same is true for Talk-Shows, VTs, News etc. Program Scheduler entries as well as Overlays Entries do have all related events when they are started. So you might use those events to send commands to update your platform manually.

For suppressed Jingles or other events, there is no way to automatically provide a 'default' artwork in the ${albumart...} macro.
For short Jingles, StationIDs etc. it wouldn't make sense to transfer a complete new pictures over the network for just 1-5 seconds.

Just handling title updates work in the same way. You can set them manually e.g. via the STREAMING_SETSONGTITLE command in the resp. On Program Stared/On Overlay Started event and use the related macros, e.g. ${programname}, ${overlayname}...
please see the user manual appendix for a list of all available macros.