Weather not working :(

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
sDoddler
Weather not working :(

Post by sDoddler »

Hi!

I'm having some trouble getting the weather working, I'm using the demo at the moment as i want to make sure I can get everything working on this software that's working on our current station and old software before I make the purchase and switching over. At the moment we have Weather announcements every so often so want to repeat that..
See below - the software has internet access as it can get through to RSS feeds and the inbuilt browser works.. And in internet explorer i can get to the api.openweather.org site, and download the .json so the site itself shouldn't be blocked..
The test URL i am using is: http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/ ... VATEAPIKEY**

Any help would be appreciated :)
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Weather not working :(

Post by radio42 »

To use the open weather api you must. Apply for an api key and enter it within the general settings.
Are you using your own key here?
sDoddler

Post by sDoddler »

Yep - see below, i have added it by right clicking on weather and putting it in there.. Is there another setting elsewhere?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

No. That is fine. I’ll need to verify tomorrow!
sDoddler

Post by sDoddler »

No worries :)
Also I didn't mention it in the initial post but our network uses a proxy but that is obviously working for the RSS feed and Web Browser..
Proxy settings are: domain\username:password@proxy.domain:8080
I assume the weather goes through that as well?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Just tested it here and it works fine - see the attached screenshot.
I used my own private weather API key and my location - so please check, if any of yours is incorrect...?
Weather.jpg
Inzane8305

Post by Inzane8305 »

Sorry Bernd, I agree with sDoddler, when setting the API key, nothing happens, if deleting the key it works again.

Is YOUR key in there somewhere? (Incorporated in the software so we are all using your key?)
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

By default it might be, as it was on an older version.
But that has been removed once it was not allowed anymore. But it could be due to some older historical settings.
Regardless, you need to use (as said) your own private API key.
sDoddler

Post by sDoddler »

Yeah i think Inzane might be right - I have removed the API key and it does work. When i add my own again, and i have double checked it is all correct, the weather stops working.. This seems like it might be a bug as everyone using the software might be using your API key?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Yes, my old API key is still in shared use when you do not specify your own! But that key is not reliable, as it is shared by all users and as such no guarantee !
OpenWeather can stop or limit its use. But it often is better than not working at all. And it also comes with various timing/refresh limits.

If your own API key is not working, this is kind of a prove, ghayyou should check the status of your own API key - looks, like this has an issue or is stopped by OpenWeather.