exec_download_file with ftp over tls

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
doobeedoo
exec_download_file with ftp over tls

Post by doobeedoo »

I would like to download a news file from out FTP-server. The server only accepts encrypted connections (FTP over TLS or SFTP with key-file).
I added a reminder in the scheduler with the exec_download_file command:
EXEC_DOWNLOAD_FILE ftp://ftp.servername.be:21/file.mp3|fil ... e|userpass

When I hit the test-button I get a OK response, but the FTP-log only indicates a 'connect' but nog login or download.

Is encrypted ftp supported within the EXEC_DOWNLOAD_File command?
radio42
Site Admin
Re: exec_download_file with ftp over tls

Post by radio42 »

Yes, it is normally supported, but you need to specify FTPS instead of FTP.
doobeedoo

Post by doobeedoo »

Hi

This worked fine on my personal Proppfrexx which runs on windows10. Yesterday I wanted to implement this on the onair proppfrexx which still runs on Windows7. Could it be that ftps is not supported on Windows7. I tried with filezilla on that machine and everything worked fine.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Might be, but that is a question to Microsoft/Windows and not a ProppFrexx question.
Hogeland

Post by Hogeland »

Same issue here. When using ftp it works well, but with ftps test result seems ok but no file transfer occurs. Is there a specific command or requirement needed for exec_download_file command to tranfer with ftps? My provider support ftps up/downloads.

Kind regards,
Henk
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Both is normally supported, but you need to specify FTPS as a prefix instead of FTP. Assuming you are using recent version of ProppFrexx.
Also note, that SFTP (file transfer over SSH) is not supported. Maybe your server uses that?
Hogeland

Post by Hogeland »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Changed ftp prefix for ftps but as said no transfer occurs while test status returns ok. Seems like there is a connection but no login at the ftp server.
My provider 'hosting2go.nl' only support ftp over ssl, not ftp over ssh, checked that.
The FTP servers will also always prefer SSL (encrypted) traffic, when something goes wrong establishing an encrypted connection, the server will always fall back on a normal connection but that even does not occur.
Tryed severral command lines till now with no results. With and without portnumber 21. For CoreFTP it needs also the setting PASV enabled, can that be a problem for the upload?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

The other user reported, that it works on one of his PCs (Win10), but not on the other one (Wun7). Note that you typically have a different port number than 21 for FTPS, so you might need to change that. But that description depends on your provider.

So maybe we are mixing things here?

Regardless, as there is nothing to configure, I can only assume, that ProppFrexx isn’t supporting that way of down or uploading file via Secure FTP you are trying to use.
Hogeland

Post by Hogeland »

My profider also use port 21 for ftps. Tryed it too in the commandline like ftps://myftpserver.nl:21/httpdocs but also without any results. Can't figure out about the passive setting so far but if it can't be configured in the commandline i suppose it won't work this way with my provider :(
Is there any other possibility to do the upload for example every minute within PF with an external client like CoreFTP?
In opposite to the other user with this problem i'm using Win10
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

You might try normal FTP, as the data being transferred is not security relevant, when needs to be encrypted?!
Eg. streaming data is today also not encrypted…