start PFL from TCP commands causing routing issue.

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
phonic
start PFL from TCP commands causing routing issue.

Post by phonic »

I've noticed when opening and closing PFL player using "PFL_FILE "and "PFL_CLOSE" the outputs would after so some time would for some reason start routing to M-OUT (the channel I made for monitoring via SND when not using PFL. it's like SND and copy are sending to the same output channel at the same time.

Right clicking on the channel and selecting edit settings shows that the copy to is set to NONE, but changing it to M-OUT (monitor channel) and then going back into to settings and changing to back to NONE does fix the issue until it happens again.

This is a bug or something I'm doing wrong?

For more clarity on this setup, when PFL is open SNDs on channels 1-4 are turned off, so audio is only heard from the PFL player that outputs to M-OUT when open and turns SNDs on again when closed. However, as mentioned above it appears that some times OUT1 would for some strange reason add extra routing when closed "COPY TO: M-OUT" giving the doubling effect but is not shown in the settings and to undo you would need to change COPY TO: to a different output like M-OUT and then back again to NONE:
Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 20.05.47.png
radio42
Site Admin
Re: start PFL from TCP commands causing routing issue.

Post by radio42 »

Is this only happening, when you use the PFL_FILE and PFL_CLOSE command? Or maybe only if you fire the commands relatively quickly?
I need to try to reproduce it, which might take a bit of time.
phonic

Post by phonic »

It could be one of two things I've noticed. opening and closing the PFL player to start different song quickly like you said, or when files can't be found and it doesn't open. In all times it has happened both or these have happened first.

On the same subject of PFL Player, I would like to display the current track playing on PFL player another monitor in the studio using TCP commands to get the title name and current position and duration, but don't seem to find any reference in the manual. Is this possible?
phonic

Post by phonic »

I’ve just had feedback from another presenter who experienced the same issue. It appears to only affect the first channel OUT1 that basically DECK A with OUT2 being DECK B.

I will try doing some tests to try and help isolate this issue when the studio is empty. I’m wondering if I can manually send a TCP command to get OUT1 routing status and change routing. It would be fast and simple to programme if ProppFrexx supported sending such commands. I can see it supports loading a sound profile but not sure if that will resolve the issue as I need to change “COPY TO” back to NONE. I’ll double check the manual.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Of course you can change the SND2 status of an output mixer also manually, e.g. using MIXER_OUTPUT_SND2_TOGGLE or MIXER_OUTPUT_SND2_ON/OFF .
You can check the snd state e.g. via the ${outputmixer1snd} macro or the MIXER_OUTPUT_SND2_GET command.
phonic

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 01 Jun 2021 18:21 Of course you can change the SND2 status of an output mixer also manually, e.g. using MIXER_OUTPUT_SND2_TOGGLE or MIXER_OUTPUT_SND2_ON/OFF .
You can check the snd state e.g. via the ${outputmixer1snd} macro or the MIXER_OUTPUT_SND2_GET command.
Thanks for getting back to me. It's not the SND that's the issue but "COPY TO" in the settings that appears to change on OUT1 to M-OUT but does not show as changed. My current workaround is right clicking on OUT1 and selected "COPY TO" to M-OUT and changing it back to NONE. If this could be done via TCP commands that that could be easily automated as a temp solution.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I doubt, that the COPY TO function is somehow being changed - at least I can absolutely but reproduce it or would have any evidence for that. You only described that you use that option to solve the issue.
Initially you have set the ‚SND2 option at No-PFL‘ and to me it seems, that this is somehow executed twice?!
phonic

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 01 Jun 2021 22:45 I doubt, that the COPY TO function is somehow being changed - at least I can absolutely but reproduce it or would have any evidence for that. You only described that you use that option to solve the issue.
Initially you have set the ‚SND2 option at No-PFL‘ and to me it seems, that this is somehow executed twice?!
Maybe I did not make it clear. My apologies if that’s the case.

As you can see form the screenshot on the first post, that’s how it looks when the issue occurs, nothing appears to have changed in the settings but the sound is doubled from OUT1 as if SND and COPY TO are routing to the M-OUT(monitor output), turning off SND does confirm audio is still being sent when it should not be sending anything once SND is off.

SND is used to send monitor audio to M-OUT, and when PFL is on SND is twitched off so they hear the PFL audio only and works fine.
But some times like today, after using the PFL via (PFL FILE and PFL CLOSE) any music played via DECK A(OUT 1) would sound doubled. SND is on as it should be when playing normally and sending it to M-OUT, but it appears to be sending the same audio twice to M-OUT from OUT1.

To verify if this is the case when it happened today I turned off SND, and M-OUT should go silent(as via SND is the only route it should get audio), but audio continues to be routed to M-OUT as if it’s copied the audio twice. The only way to resolve it(other than restarting ProppFrexx) is by changing as I said “COPY TO” from NONE to M-OUT close and open again and switch back to NONE.

Just to add it only affects OUT1, playing music via DECK B OUT2 is fine.
phonic

Post by phonic »

Update:
Just had the same issue. This time I tried something different and tested if I could resolve without the "COPY TO:" and clicked "Lock" to unselect the option and closed settings and it did resolve the issue as well. Hope that helps. So maybe sometime to do with resetting the channel audio?
Screenshot 2021-06-02 at 05.11.29.png
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Any change in the setting of the mixer configuration resets the mixer. So reason and solution is not the same :-)