start PFL from TCP commands causing routing issue.

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
phonic
Re: start PFL from TCP commands causing routing issue.

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 02 Jun 2021 07:19 Any change in the setting of the mixer configuration resets the mixer. So reason and solution is not the same :-)
yes, that’s what I said. It’s clearly resetting the channel that’s temporary resolving the issue and not what’s being changed, and the reason just restarting ProppFrexx has the same affect.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Two more question, as so far I was unfortunately unable to reproduce it:
a) when you hear the sound twice, does that start when SND2 is off (i.e. the PFL is open), or does it start when SND2 is in (i.e. PFL is closed)?
And do you hear the PFL sound twice or the normal output (i.e. the sound of Out1)?
Can you maybe send me a sample audio file/recording of the effect?

b) does that only happen with DJ Player A, but never with B or C ?
phonic

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 02 Jun 2021 23:22 Two more question, as so far I was unfortunately unable to reproduce it:
a) when you hear the sound twice, does that start when SND2 is off (i.e. the PFL is open), or does it start when SND2 is in (i.e. PFL is closed)?
And do you hear the PFL sound twice or the normal output (i.e. the sound of Out1)?
Can you maybe send me a sample audio file/recording of the effect?

b) does that only happen with DJ Player A, but never with B or C ?
The doubling can only be heard when playing music from DECK A(OUT1) when PFL is closed and SND is back on. DECK B(OUT2) does not appear to be affected by this issue. All feedback I've got is related to DECK A having a strange doubling sound but the playlist plays fine on DECK B(OUT2).

M-OUT is monitor out, and SND should be the only way audio is routed to it. so turning off SND does stop the doubling but I should not be hearing any audio, and when PFL is now open again I can hear the music and PFL music at the same time(via TCP command or directly via ProppFrexx PFL Player). It's just as if I've set OUT1 COPY TO to M-OUT. strange.

I have found that some files don't play via PFL_FILE, and does seem to happen when it fails to open, but "PFL_ISOPEN" is reporting "false" so I don't think this could be the reason why OUT1 would strangely again an extra route to M-OUT.

as a temp workaround, would using "MAIN_LOAD_MIXER_SETUP myProfileName" trigger a reset? or do you know of any other command I could issue to reset the mixer/channel?
phonic

Post by phonic »

It's happened twice this evening. So I took screen shots of the different setting with SND of and SND on, etc.

Playing music from DESK A. and SND is on. you can see the volume is clipping due the audio being doubled:
Screenshot 2021-06-03 at 02.23.07.png
SND is off but sound is still routing to M-OUT but settings have not changed so it should be silent:
Screenshot 2021-06-03 at 02.25.26.png
This is after clicking on Lock to reset the mixer, you see the audio has now stopped routing to M-OUT and all is back to normal again but nothing has changed in settings apart from clicking on Lock that I later switch back on afterward:
Screenshot 2021-06-03 at 02.26.10.png
I hope that makes it more clear.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

In the last screenshot (when you say all is normal) shouldn’t SND be on? As the button of OUT1 is not active?

Also strange, that it only happens with OUT1 but not OUT2/3 ?
phonic

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 03 Jun 2021 07:46 In the last screenshot (when you say all is normal) shouldn’t SND be on? As the button of OUT1 is not active?

Also strange, that it only happens with OUT1 but not OUT2/3 ?
Yes, if I want to hear audio from OUT1 via M-OUT.
I mean normal as audio should not be routed from OUT1 to M-OUT when SND is off. Look at screenshot 2 and compare with screenshot 3. both have the SND off. I tested again SND on OUT2(deck b) and OUT3(jingles/beds), and they did not have this issue.

As this studio is empty from 4pm, I’m going to spend some time seeing exactly what steps are causing this issue.
I wondering if corruption can cause this issue and may try deleting rebuilding to mixer from scratch?
I’ll post an update later.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Are you sure, that you are not using any other event on top, who h sometimes and manually changes things on OUT1?
It is really strange, that it only happens on that mixer channel, as the code and logic is always the same. And as I can also not reproduce it, I am now thinking in other directions…

Maybe a recreate of the the mixer channel helps as well - I am honestly lost at the moment, what could cause it…

Can you maybe also send the SND2 settings of the mixer channels…I assume, there is. I difference between the mixer channels?!
phonic

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 03 Jun 2021 18:29 Are you sure, that you are not using any other event on top, who h sometimes and manually changes things on OUT1?
It is really strange, that it only happens on that mixer channel, as the code and logic is always the same. And as I can also not reproduce it, I am now thinking in other directions…

Maybe a recreate of the the mixer channel helps as well - I am honestly lost at the moment, what could cause it…

Can you maybe also send the SND2 settings of the mixer channels…I assume, there is. I difference between the mixer channels?!
No commands are sent via TCP or via ProppFrexx directly to change any routing, the only commands used are related to PFL only, for playing, closing, checking status, etc. The strange thing is it only affects OUT1, and nothing at all is different from OUT1 to OUT4 apart from the device used. SND is to set M-OUT on all 4 OUTs and does not change. I'm also confused how it can assign OUT1 with another route to M-OUT just from using PFL.

Anyway, I'm currently in the studio and will try and recreate the issue and see if I can isolate the cause.
phonic

Post by phonic »

You asked for the SND screenshot(they are all the same on for OUT1...OUT4):
Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 02.27.43.png
Just to clarify it's not SND that is being doubled as in two feeds coming only from SND to M-OUT. It's SND plus another route from OUT1 --> M-OUT and together you get clipping and the doubling effect when playing music from DECK A and when SND is on. You can see this from the screenshot1 and screenshot2. This extra route is not shown in settings or in output routing and doing something that triggers a reset of the mixer clears it and the sound stops as in screenshot3.

I've also found out that when this happens while playing music on deckA and use the PFL Player (SND is off), you now hear both DECKA OUT1 and PFL Player together not just the PFL Player. So it's deffinatly adding extra routing directly from OUT1 to M-OUT. I've had little luck isolating the issue today due to other issues that needed to be resolved. I will continue tomorrow morning(well later this morning... long days and nights).
phonic

Post by phonic »

Just to update you that I've rebuild the mixer from the start, and even removed some channels, but still is happening with the same channel "OUT1 DECKA". Very annoying.

As a temp workaround is it possible to trigger mixer reset via TCP commends of that channel like "MIXER_OUTPUT_RESET OUT1"?