Voicetrack a pre-scheduled program based on a script

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
andrerotgans
Voicetrack a pre-scheduled program based on a script

Post by andrerotgans »

Hi all,

For a consultancy job I'm trying to set up a local radiostation with ProppFrexx. Works fine, I can do almost anything I can figure out I'll need (and more, that is). However, there's one thing I'd like to try, and I don't seem to can figure out how-to.

I schedule some shows in advance, using a base script and some 'redo's of that base script. That way I can use different jingles and different musical format for each different show. I'd like to be able to pre-voicetrack some of these programms. However, when using a script, the program is only created when the script is started, i.e when te scheduler fires it off. Is there anyway how to use a script for a program but let it 'run' in advance ?

Kind regards,

André
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Voicetrack a pre-scheduled program based on a script

Post by radio42 »

Yes, that is possible!

Once you have defined your Script(s) and possible also your Program(s) (within the Program Scheduler) you might use either the 'Playlist Template Wizard' or the 'Playlist from Script Template' options.
In the main ribbon click on the lower half of the "New" button to open the sub-menu and select your appropriate entry.
In your case I assume you might want to use the 'Playlist Template Wizard'.
andrerotgans

Post by andrerotgans »

Thanks, I'm gonna try that. The playlist template wizard is never active at my configuration, so I'll use the playlist from script template. It seems very easy to operate :)

How does this interact with the history ? I.e. when I apply a lot of scripts onto playlists in this way, does the historyfiles reflect this ? So, when I schedule a hour, will it take into account the already scheduled songs in the hours before that hour. (This to prevent the same song played in two adjacent hours)

Kind regards,

André
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Please also see here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=653
And try the new v3.0.11.22!
What Edition are you using? Note, that the 'Playlist Template Wizard' requires the Premium-Edition or higher.

The history (e.g. the global history) is updates immediately when the above is executed - meaning at the time the script executes.
Aa such when you execute the 'Playlist From Script Template' or 'Playlist Template Wizard' the histories are updated at this time.
Subsequent executions therefore will consider tracks already used beforehand.
andrerotgans

Post by andrerotgans »

Hi Bernd,

Thanks for your answer, I'm still working with the demo-version.
It works like a charm and based on the description in the topic you mentioned you're better in describing my case than I'm myself :-)

André
andrerotgans

Post by andrerotgans »

Hi Bernd,

Just one more question regarding voicetracking a scheduled show (as mentioned above). In my test setup I use 2 commercial overlays (:15 en :45) and a PSA overlay at the bottom of the hour (short local news + pre-recorded weather). These overlays do have the earlier start option turned on and are also having a optional delay of 180 seconds, in order to let the float and not cut of the playing tracks.
When voicetracking such an hour, where there are overlays scheduled, is there an option to show me those overlays in the playlist ? That way I can prevent planning voicetracking out of one song into another, with the risk of ending up voicetracking into the overlay instead of the song.
I've tried fiddling around with settings like the one which determines when to show the overlay (the one in minutes), but turning it way up doesn't give a solution.

Kind regards,

André
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Currently a future dated playlist doesn't show any planned Overlays for that date.
I'll see, if I can do something about it in a future version.

However, when manually 'planning/preparing' a playlist (with e.g. incl. Voice Tracking), it is likely, that you also want to manually plan your Overlays within that as well.
In general you know what overlays should be played out automatically and their estimated scheduled times (if not, click on the Overlay Scheduler ribbon icon to look them up ;-)

But (as you explained) the related 'automatic' overlay times often doesn't match your manual playlist - as you said, you want to avoid, that an overlay starts exactly before or after your Voice Tracks etc.
To overcome this issue, you are able to also plan/determine the exact location of your overlays within a playlist.
To do so:
- locate the playlist position where you want to insert the overlay.
- right-click and select "Add - Insert Embedded Container from..." from the context menu.
- In the upcomming dialog select 'From: Overlay-Entry' and under 'Reference' select the Overlay to use
- finally click OK

Note: In the Embedded Container Dialog you might also specify a 'Title' name for the embedded playlist entry as well as an 'Approximate Duartion', which is uses for a nicer/better Backtiming display in the playlist.

This adds a new 'Embedded Overlay Container' playlist entry above the selected position.
You might now even move that playlist entry up or down in the playlist (e.g. by using SHIFT+ALT+ArrowUp/Down).

The created 'Embedded Overlay Container' playlist entry acts like any other playlist entry.
Meaning its content is played out like any other track.
The only major difference is, that the content itself is dynamically determined at the time when the playout takes place.
In this case the related Overlay is evaluated and resolved.
(As the content is dynamic, its effective duration is unknown at this time - that's why the 'Approximate Duartion' might come in handy)

This means, at the time when the playlist is effectively played out, at exactly this playlist position the overlay will be played out directly within the DJ Player - like as if the Overlay would be played out automatically via the automatic Overlay-Player.
The Overlay-Scheduler now automatically detects, that the current playlist contains any 'Embedded Overlay Container' entries and as such supresses any Overlay being scheduled automatically during the time this plalyist is open!
Caution: This is an all or nothing option!
The Overlay-Scheduler supresses ALL overlay due during the time a playlist containing 'Embedded Overlay Container' entries is open!
So make sure to include 'Embedded Overlay Container' entries for really ALL overlays which should be used in that playlist.

In your case you might need to create 3 'Embedded Overlay Container' entries:
OVL:15, OVL:45 and PSA.

As a result:
Using 'Embedded Overlay Container' entries allows you to:
- supress automatic Overlays being scheduled by the Overlay-Scheduler
- manually position the overlays exactly within your preparted playlist

I hope this solves your issue.
andrerotgans

Post by andrerotgans »

Thank you for your (once again) extensive answer ! It sounds logical, however maybe a little complicated for a dj or host to do. I'm gonna try it out, but maybe it's a nice thing for the wish list for future releases. I have to say I'm still getting more and more impressed with all options of ProppFrexx and also with your level of support. Thanks for that,

André
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

The new v3.0.11.24 now contains a new 'Resolve Overlay To Playlist' option when using the 'Playlist Template Wizard' - allowing you to directly insert the scheduled overlays as direct playlist items.
This should be handy and more simple to use in the scenario you described.

See here for details: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=658