VST & PFOA?

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Adger
VST & PFOA?

Post by Adger »

I happen to have weird issues when trying to use PFOA (currently 3.0.11.27) with various VST.

I have accepted that PFOA does not save settings with VST used in the Mic-Train. I learned to write down the parameters and tune them in manually every time. That is annoying but it doesn't kill me. But the other day PFOA started droping VSTs alltogether from the whole mixer set between uses AND resetting set values for those PFOA considers worthy to stay in the mixer.

Three questions:

* Has anybody a hint for me how to fix that on my side?

* Is there some kind of bridge-application that hosts the VSTs and correctly saves the settings but makes PFOA keep fingers off of the settings?

* Is there a way to force (brute force is OK for me) PFOA to save set values with VST?

VSTs in question are:

Antares Modern Deep Purpel - Values reset to factory default
AudioTeknikk ReDamption - Kicked from mixer
Reaper standalone ReaFIR & ReaEQ - At first values reset, a few launches later kicked from mixer
radio42
Site Admin
Re: VST & PFOA?

Post by radio42 »

Sounds all a bit strange.
I haven't tried your specific VSTs - but several others, and they restore all their settings between closing/restarting ProppFrexx.
Do you maybe remove the VSTs and then (re)add them to the mixer?
Since removing and (re)adding VSTs currently wouldn't preserve their settings - except you saved the settings in a mixer preset (5 preset slots are available in the main mixer - which, when changing - savs/restores also all VST settings).
Else, the VST settings are (only) saved when the VSTs are assigned and then PF is gracefully closed and then restarted.

So maybe your specific VSTs are trouble some? I'll try them out...

What do you mean by 'kicked from the mixer'?
Did that happen between two (re)starts of ProppFrexx or while ProppFrexx was running?
Adger

Post by Adger »

radio42 wrote:Sounds all a bit strange.
Do you maybe remove the VSTs and then (re)add them to the mixer?
Since removing and (re)adding VSTs currently wouldn't preserve their settings - except you saved the settings in a mixer preset (5 preset slots are available in the main mixer - which, when changing - savs/restores also all VST settings).
VSTs refuse to keep their values between restarts of PFOA. This is true for every single VST I ever try and have tryed to use in "mic". I already created a new "Mic1" from scratch, to no avail. The other this came true for "Main", too, which is a serious problem and ultimately a show stoper for me. Have not tried yet for "In" and "PFL", but I have tried extensively for "Mic1" and verified a few times for "Main". The same VSTs keep their settings with various other host-applications which makes me think something could be wrong here.
Else, the VST settings are (only) saved when the VSTs are assigned and then PF is gracefully closed and then restarted.
In my case, they don't.
What do you mean by 'kicked from the mixer'?
Did that happen between two (re)starts of ProppFrexx or while ProppFrexx was running?
The VST is removed from the DSP-slot. "DSP3" in my case, DSP 1 & 2 are not in use, DSP 4 is in use but set VST lost its settings, see above.
Between two restarts.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I just tried your above mentioned VSTs and they all work fine here and also restore their settings after a restart of PF.
I tried them exactly as you explained above and used in a 'MIC' mixer-input-channel as well as on several other output-mixer-channels.

So I somehow get the feeling, that there is something else weird going on - probably your .mixer config file is corrupted?
We already had this discussion in the past, but you never send me your .mixer config file in question - or at least the one you have send me never contained any defined DSPs.

So please do the following:
1. Locate which .mixer config file you are corrently using:
- open PF and click on the 'SETUP' button in the main mixer channel - this will open a popup and show you the 'Setup' in use.
- the setup name defines which .mixer is used. E.g. "Default" would map to the file "Default.mixer"

2. Assign in your 'MIC' mixer-input-channel the DSP/VSTs as needed and also adjust the settings as required
And leave the VST assigned...

3. Now close PF
- once closed go to the ProppFrexx AppUserData folder
- in there you should find your .mixer file (e.g. "Default.mixer")
- pls send me this file

4. If this file is somehow corrupted (which obviously I can only check once you have send it to me), you might clean it yourself.
Meaning you might remove all entries from that file which might be corrupt...and leave it kind of empty, except the pure mixer channel settings.
Note: All DSP/VST settings will be lost in such case, but might then be added later on again from within ProppFrexx..
- Make sure PF is closed for that time.
- make a backup copy of the .mixer file first!
- Open the .mixer file with a text editor.
- the file is an xml structure file
- in the "<configSections>" section remove all sections except the once for:
<section name="ROUTE"...
<section name="MixerOutputs"...
<section name="MixerInputs"...
- in the "<ProppFrexx>" section remove all sections except the once for:
<ROUTE>...</ROUTE>
<MixerOutputs>...</MixerOutputs>
<MixerInputs>...</MixerInputs>
- the modifed (cleaned) xml might look like this (of course your ROUTE, MixerOutputs and MixerInputs will have differnt entries like in this example!):

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
  <configSections>
    <sectionGroup name="ProppFrexx">
      <section name="ROUTE" type="System.Configuration.NameValueSectionHandler, System, Culture=neutral, Custom=null" />
      <section name="MixerOutputs" type="System.Configuration.NameValueSectionHandler, System, Culture=neutral, Custom=null" />
      <section name="MixerInputs" type="System.Configuration.NameValueSectionHandler, System, Culture=neutral, Custom=null" />
    </sectionGroup>
  </configSections>
  <ProppFrexx>
    <ROUTE>
      <add key="PlayerA" value="PLAY" />
      <add key="PlayerB" value="PLAY" />
      <add key="PlayerC" value="PLAY" />
      <add key="PlayerD" value="PLAY" />
      <add key="StandbyPlayer" value="MON" />
      <add key="OverlayPlayer" value="PLAY" />
      <add key="PFL" value="PFL" />
      <add key="QuickMonitor" value="PFL" />
      <add key="CardWall1" value="MON" />
      <add key="CardWall2" value="MON" />
      <add key="Input" value="MON" />
      <add key="Streaming" value="MON" />
    </ROUTE>
    <MixerOutputs>
      <add key="Output1" value="PLAY|3|44100|True|False|True|False|True|0|0|OUT|False||False|False|0|0|False|True|True|NoSound|-1|False|-1|0" />
      <add key="Output2" value="OUT|2|44100|False|False|True|False|True|2|0||False||False|False|0|0|False|True|True|{0.0.0.00000000}.{103de14e-22d2-4407-9b8a-4b5cd909f41d}Lautsprecher (Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD)|-1|False|-1|0" />
      <add key="Output3" value="MON|2|44100|True|False|True|False|True|2|0||False||False|False|0|0|False|True|True|{0.0.0.00000000}.{103de14e-22d2-4407-9b8a-4b5cd909f41d}Lautsprecher (Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD)|-1|False|-1|0" />
      <add key="Output4" value="PFL|0|44100|False|False|True|False|True|1|0||False||False|False|0|0|False|True|True|{0.0.0.00000000}.{103de14e-22d2-4407-9b8a-4b5cd909f41d}Lautsprecher (Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD)|-1|False|-1|0" />
    </MixerOutputs>
    <MixerInputs>
      <add key="Input1" value="MIC1|2|44100|True|False|True|51|0|OUT|False||False|False|False|0|0|True|False|True|{0.0.1.00000000}.{99a3ad2e-8e7a-4b66-b1f5-7e1d12127a78}Internes Mikrofon (Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD)|-1|False|-1|0" />
    </MixerInputs>
  </ProppFrexx>
</configuration>
- now save modifed/cleaned .mixer file
- and restart ProppFrexx
- your mixer-channel setup you be preserved, but all other settings are reset to defaults
- now assign your DSP/VSTs as needed
- close PF and restart PF to see, if the VST settings are now preserved
Adger

Post by Adger »

Tried cleaning the ".mixer" manually as you suggested. Did not help. Settings still won't save.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I tried your .mixer file here and it restores all VSTs fine.
Could you check, if one of your other VSTs in your VST-Folder is maybe causing the issue?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

This issue should now be fixed with v3.0.11.29.
The VST hosting has been completely reworked for more compatibilty with 'old fashion' VST 2.x plugins.