Volume points

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Farbo
Volume points

Post by Farbo »

Bernd, how can I add volume point in short interview record when the person which was interview used a rude word and I have kind of beep file. So far I made track insert of that beep file to the part where rude word was used. I need to lower down volume of that short part but I am unable to create volume point for example in PFL player. If I right click I can see the possibility to create volume points but it is not accessible (it is grey). :-(

Or maybe better way is to set control command to that beep track to automatically lower the volume of actually played track. How could I do it, which control command would suite for this purpose?
Peter
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Volume points

Post by radio42 »

When you loaded the track to e.g. the PFL Player you can simply do the following:
a) locate the position where you want to start add the volume valley
b) right-click into the WaveForm and select 'Add Volume Valley (5sec.)' to add a 5sec. volume vallay (which actually ads 4 volume points)
c) adjust the volume points by dragging them with the mouse to the appropriate position
Note, that the 'Add Volume Point' or 'Add Volume Valley' menu items are only enabled, if you are using the 'Volume Curve'.
Make sure the small 'VOL' button within the PFL Player (above the JogWheel) is enabled (shown red).
It is disabled by default when you turned off the general 'Fading' option - see the main ribbon (next to AutoPlay; above the 'Follow' button) - so make sure 'Fading' is turned on.

You might also add individual volume points to the track by double-clicking in the upper-half of the WaveForm.
Or when using the Segue-Editor you might directly select your 'Track Insert' (your beep track) and click on the 'Attenuate Insert' buttom at the bottom.
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

I tried it. Is it possible I am not able to use volume points for tracks which are loaded to cards? Because when I edit that track from find window and PFL, volume points are saved. But as soon as I edit it in cardwall I am not able to use volume points. Is it by design? It is just an interview which I want to play from card but I have this little problem with rude word. :-(
Peter
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

It is all about your setting.
I assume, that you didn't define to 'Use Fading' for your Cardwalls (see general settings, section 'Mixing/Fading', group 'Other Mixing Defaults').
If the 'Use Fading' option is not set for 'Cardwall I' resp. 'Cardwall II' - no volume envelops would be used by default - as already explained above!

In that case you would have to enable it in the PFL Player when launched from the Cardwall: Make sure the small 'VOL' button within the PFL Player (above the JogWheel) is enabled (shown red).

Or you simply enable the above explained general setting.
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

Yes, you are right, fading is disabled for Cardwalls. But when I enabled it in the PFL Player when launched from the Cardwall: Make sure the small 'VOL' button within the PFL Player (above the JogWheel) is enabled (shown red). I did this but after I closed PFL and opened it again no volume points were saved.
Peter
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

After (re)opening the PFL Player you might need to click on the 'red VOL' button again, as it is again disabled by default and as such no volume points are visible.
So you need to turn on 'Use Fading' for the Cardwall in the general settings - else no volume curve would be used in the Cardwall.
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

Everything works fine besides fact that when I play the interview with inserted track insert I can not hear the beep sound from my track insert file but only attenuation of volume of the original track in that part where rude word is used.
Peter
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Oh yes, I see what the problem might be - it lies in the cardwall player not handling track insert events correctly in all cases.
I'll provide an update soon...!
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

Thank you. No problem, take your time.
Peter