Automatic conversion ?

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
TheoOrl45
Automatic conversion ?

Post by TheoOrl45 »

Hi all!

Is there any way to automatically convert m3u playlist into pfp playlist, without having to manually load m3u files into proppfrexx ?

I would like to configure proppfrexx to load daily pfp playlist files. And my scheduler can only generate m3u files (I don't want to use anything else but this scheduler :-) ).

Does it exist an automatic program which reads m3u files and generate pfp files, using the tracks tags (for cue points for example) ?

What does I need that for ? I'm thinking about automatic treatments within the playlist between generation and playback. And I have to work with pfp files and not m3u format (which is only a sequence of title or command).

Regards,

--
Theo
Theo, from France.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Automatic conversion ?

Post by radio42 »

The only way to convert a .m3u to a .pfp playlist file is loading it into ProppFrexx and use 'Save As'.
But I am not sure, if that is really needed in your case, as if the audio file's TAGs already contain the cue-points, ProppFrexx would also consider them, even if you load a .m3u file within ProppFrexx.
TheoOrl45

Post by TheoOrl45 »

So, if I would like to automatically create pfp files (designing a small automatic tool), I have to save cue-points into pfmp files ? After, this new tool will open the m3u files and, for each audio item, will retrieve the corresponding pfmp file and generate the pfp files with those tags...

Not very handy... But no choice.
Thanks.
Theo, from France.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Maybe I don't understand what you are exactly trying to do?!
In your post above you where talking about an external scheduler, which only generates .m3u files and you where looking for a conversion tool.
You also said, that the cue-points etc. are already saved in the audio files TAG data - no word about .pfmd files?!

So can please explain in detail what exactly you are looking for?!

Also note, that the .pfp playlist file format is explained in details here: http://www.proppfrexx.radio42.com/v3/help.html
(see the download link)
TheoOrl45

Post by TheoOrl45 »

I would like to convert m3u files (which only contains reference to audio files) into pfp playlist files (which contains reference to audio files + cue-points for mixing process).

I imagine those cue-points are read into tags of each item (directly into the audio file, or into the associate pfmp files). As I don't know how cue-points are stored into the audio file (too difficult for me), it's why I suggest to use pfmp files in order to build the final pfp files.

Regarding your previous link, reading the manuel don't give me more detail in the way you generate the pfp files and the syntax used.
Theo, from France.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Cue-Points do not exist by default in any general meta data TAGs or audio files.
So they need to be set manually - e.g. with the ProppFrexx TAG Editor, the PFL Player etc.
ProppFrexx uses its own special, user defined TAG to store cue-points. Or they can be saved in an extra .pfmd file.
However, they need to be set manually beforehand with ProppFrexx.
If ProppFrexx doesn't find any cue-points (i.e. they have not been defined yet), ProppFrexx might calculate them automatically based on several mixing settings (this is called ACPD - Automatic Cue-Point Detection).

As such, your above mentioned conversion is not really needed (as said).
Since either the related .pfmd files must be already existing, or the special TAG must be already existing - or if both are not present PF might do the ACDP anyhow.
As such:
- if a .pfmd file would already be existing, PF would use that also with a .m3u file
- if the special TAG would already be existing, PF would use that also with a .m3u file
- if non is existing, PF might still calculate ACPD also with a .m3u file

Not sure what you are missing in the above linked document?
TheoOrl45

Post by TheoOrl45 »

You don't understand what I say.

I know very well that I have to set the cue points for having them stored into TAG or pfmp files.
I will give you an example, trying to be more precise... (sorry, my english is quite limited).

- All my audio item have cue-point, previously manually defined.
- I generate m3u playlist files, with my external scheduler tool, that gives something like :
C:\file1.mp3
C:\file2.mp3
- ProppFrexx ONAIR is set to search pfp playlist files, which something like (I don't know the real tag names but it's for example) :
<file>
<name>C:\file1.mp3</name>
<cue-in>01</cue-in>
<cue-out>10</cue-out>
</file>
<file>
<name>C:\file2.mp3</name>
<cue-in>03</cue-in>
<cue-out>22</cue-out>
</file>

I would like to design a tool that convert the first one to the last, using the correct cue-points value (like ProppFrexx does). Therefore, the cue-point values are stored into pfmp files.
So, for each line in my m3u playlist file, I will search the appropriate pfmp files and transform the m3u line into the xml tags blocs with the cue-point values...

Is it more clear ?
Theo, from France.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Yes, I see what you mean - even I am not sure why this tool is needed or desired - but however.
And as such tool doesn't exist today, you would have/want to develop it yourself...

The .pfmd file is also an xml file with almost the same layout as a 'track' entry in a .pfp playlist file.
So it should be quite easy to:
- read in a .m3u file
- for each m3u entry find the related .pfmd file and read that in
- build a .pfp playlist file (using the format and syntax as defined in the above linked document)
TheoOrl45

Post by TheoOrl45 »

I want to make tests for remote voice-tracking. Trying to design a structure for remote DJ...
And I imagine something that need to use pfp playlist file instead of m3u :-)

Thanks for your help Bernd !
Theo, from France.
TheoOrl45

Post by TheoOrl45 »

Hi Bernd,

The link you provided us with is not available. It's linked to the "user manual"... Where is the correct one ?

Moreover, I look into the pfmd file for an audio item, and the playlist pfp file in which I put the same audio item. Content is not completely identical... For example, title are not into the pfmd file...

I think it's not really possible to create an entire playlist using pfmd files....quite disapointed...:-/
Theo, from France.