Mixer volume meter and dB

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Farbo
Mixer volume meter and dB

Post by Farbo »

Bernd, could you please explain connection between dB level showed as tooltip (when going over fader knob) and dB level seen on left side of each mixer channel? Wouldn´t it be better to have mixer channel faders as on normal mixing desk, i.e. normal position is at 0dB but you are still able to increase the volume a little bit (so far if fader is at the top of mixer channel I am able to increase volume of track with gain knob, but it is not so handy as fader). So far each mixer channel has 0dB as maximum. Or? If not how can I set fader to be exactly at 0dB but according to indicators on the left side of each mixer channel?

I mean if channels maximum is know REAL +6dB is there a easy way to set all faders to exact 0dB at one time? Hm, why there is difference between what tooltip shows and what is on channel´s left side?
Peter
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Mixer volume meter and dB

Post by radio42 »

The scale on the left side is the scale for the peak level meter only and is not related to the fader - so only the fader tooltip shows you the fader position/volume!
The final mixer channel volume (output) can not go above 0 dB in digital audio processing, as this is the audio drivers volume level setting.
The 'Gain' knob is controlling an extra volume DSP.
As said the peak-level meter shows the effective output level, which has nothing to do with any amplification or attenuation of the fader.

What do you mean by 'REAL +6dB'?
Note, that in digital audio processing there is no headroom, so if your peak-level goes above 0dB you might risk clipping.