media library server possibilities

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
bschelst
media library server possibilities

Post by bschelst »

Hi,

I'm exploring proppfrexx, and currently I'm having some questions regarding the media library server feature. I hope someone can help me with this:

*) If we use a media library server, which contains the audio files, on a central server, and people use that do download the audio files. If that person modifies the tag of the mp3, can that tag also be updated on the central media library server?

*) Same for a playlist. If a person modifies a playlist (which is shared on the media library server), on his 'local pc', will those change be populated to the central server?

The reason why I'm asking this confirmation, is because I tried this, and it didn't work :)

B
radio42
Site Admin
Re: media library server possibilities

Post by radio42 »

*) If we use a media library server, which contains the audio files, on a central server, and people use that do download the audio files. If that person modifies the tag of the mp3, can that tag also be updated on the central media library server?
You need to update the tag of the audio file the media library server points to!
The media lib server however does the following:
a) at first he transmits the logical address as a UNC path to the remote client PC.
If the local PC is able to directly access that UNC location (e.g. since it is a shared network address) the client uses that UNC address.
As such, the file is directly references and any TAG modifications will be done on the original file.
b) if the client is unable to access the given file location, the file might be remotely transferred to the client.
In that case modifying the TAG data locally wouldn't change the TAG data of the server file!

*) Same for a playlist
Playlists are not propagated/transferred to a client PC.
As such a client can not modify a playlist via the remote server, but only modify it on the server location directly.

As such, you should be default always modify the data directly at the location the server is using.