Two questions. Instant recorder blank, and DJ Player EOF - Please Eject notice.

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
phonic
Two questions. Instant recorder blank, and DJ Player EOF - Please Eject notice.

Post by phonic »

Two questions:
One: Instant recorder.
I’ve been getting calls from presenters moving over to the new ProppFrexx software and recording their shows using the instant recorder.
On 3 occasions now I’ve had calls saying they recorded a 1 or 2 hour show and it did not record, the file is zero bytes.
I’m not sure if it started recording, and I can’t replicate the issue myself. However, you can’t save an empty file without first recording, so I’m not sure what is going wrong here. The biggest complaint I’m getting is that at the moment they have no way of verifying it’s really recording, as the levels are always shown if it’s recording or not. One thing that would help is a visual aid to verify it’s recording, like the wave the form being generated as it’s recording as you would see in audio recording software?

Two: EOF - Please Eject
Can you explain why I’m now getting this message with ProppFrexx after a song finishes playing in any of the do players A, B or C?
Thankfully this does not display in any of the studios running ProppFrexx, but only on my home computer I use for testing, but would be nice to know what has caused this.

Thanks for your help.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Two questions. Instant recorder blank, and DJ Player EOF - Please Eject notice.

Post by radio42 »

For 1)
I can also not reproduce this here.
But according to a 0 byte file, I can only assume, that this must be related to an encoder issue not being able to write the data but not giving any feedback.
Do you know, what encoding settings (encoder profile) and what format is used in that case?

2)
This message was demanded by many users when operating in manual mode. At the end of a track this is just a hint to eject the track and replace it with a new one.
It will not shown in automatic mode.
phonic
Re: Two questions. Instant recorder blank, and DJ Player EOF - Please Eject notice.

Post by phonic »

Encoder: They all set to the defaults. I’ve remotely connected to the studio PC to verify the settings, and can confirm it’s still on Default WAV. It would appear that the levels show, they click record, and the REC TIME counts, and they click stop and save it, but no audio and the file size is zero. All computers are identical running Intel i7-8700, and the latest version of Windows 10 Pro.
phonic

Post by phonic »

With regards to the reply to question two(EOF - Please Eject), can an option be added to disabled/enable it? As a programmer myself seeing EOF, left me thinking the files have become corrupt.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

EOF stands for End of File. So no errors.
I guess I already added an option to the Player settings, but I’ll double check this later.

Regarding the encoding:
If it is a pure WAV output this is getting even more strange. Might is be a rights or permission issue or a bad filename being used?
phonic

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 17 May 2019 17:04 EOF stands for End of File. So no errors.
I guess I already added an option to the Player settings, but I’ll double check this later.
Seeing EoF in red had me for a moment thinking it was an error and was reading past end, making me think End of File flag is missing due to file corruption.

Anyway, I've had a check in the player config settings, and could not find any option to disable.
radio42 wrote: 17 May 2019 17:04 Regarding the encoding:
If it is a pure WAV output this is getting even more strange. Might is be a rights or permission issue or a bad filename being used?
If it's a permission issue, I would assume it would not be intermittent. It's happened 3 times, and each time like today it resulted in the person being interviewed having to leave for another appointment.

just to add before clicking save I was told no wave form was displayed, so it's like it never started recording, but the REC TIME clearly says it was. Does it not write to a temp cache in memory or file first while recording?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I’ll check.

But I currently have no idea what can cause you the 9 byte files. As no, there is no temp. cache. The recording goes straight to the file.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I have tried hard, but I was not able to reproduce a 0 byte recording file.
Whenever I have set an invalid filename or path I got an immediate error.

The only way I can think of is, that you are using a network drive to save your recordings, which allows you to specify a 'create' file write, but you have not allowed to set a 'write' to file right?!

Else, it is best to first record a 2 second test...see, if the WaveForm is generated...and if yes, all is good and make the final recording.
phonic

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 21 May 2019 14:35 I have tried hard, but I was not able to reproduce a 0 byte recording file.
Whenever I have set an invalid filename or path I got an immediate error.

The only way I can think of is, that you are using a network drive to save your recordings, which allows you to specify a 'create' file write, but you have not allowed to set a 'write' to file right?!

Else, it is best to first record a 2 second test...see, if the WaveForm is generated...and if yes, all is good and make the final recording.
I’ve been in the studio all day trying to mess things up, it just works for me. Not using a network drive, so no permission problems, but the folders are synced across all studios to keep everting in sync.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

A v4.0.5.35 update is available, which adds an 'EOF Warning' option to make the EOF warning optional.