Advantech PCIe-1730

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
phonic
Re: Advantech PCIe-1730

Post by phonic »

I’m currently in the studio and testing it out. I’ll update you when everything is setup correctly.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Just wanted to double check, if you have been able to test the Advantech implementaiton?
phonic

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 09 Apr 2019 14:38 Any news, have you been able to test it yet?
I’ve had a full day in the studio testing the Advantech and quickly found the reason why it did not work before... cable configuration. Anyway, I now have fader start and pause on each channel working perfectly.

However, one issue is the output from the Advantech is not working. Not sure if it’s the S2, software or drivers at the moment.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Good to hear, that the input is working.

How are you testing the output (ie. setting a pin state of the card from within ProppFrexx on one of the Digital Output ports)?
Are you using this control-command to do so:
EXEC_SEND_ADVANTECH port|pin|state

Note, that the 'port' value represents the devices port to set the pin state of, e.g. set it to 0 to set a pin of port0.
The 'pin' denotes the pin number to set, e.g. 1 for the first pin or 8 for the last pin.
The 'state' is 1=true; 0=false.

Example:
EXEC_SEND_ADVANTECH 0|1|1

Note, that you might need to set the direction of the digital output in your device configuration.
phonic

Post by phonic »

radio42 wrote: 22 May 2019 08:34 Good to hear, that the input is working.

How are you testing the output (ie. setting a pin state of the card from within ProppFrexx on one of the Digital Output ports)?
Are you using this control-command to do so:
EXEC_SEND_ADVANTECH port|pin|state

Note, that the 'port' value represents the devices port to set the pin state of, e.g. set it to 0 to set a pin of port0.
The 'pin' denotes the pin number to set, e.g. 1 for the first pin or 8 for the last pin.
The 'state' is 1=true; 0=false.

Example:
EXEC_SEND_ADVANTECH 0|1|1

Note, that you might need to set the direction of the digital output in your device configuration.
S2 configured correctly for GPIO input.
I’m now at the studio with some test equipment to see if voltage is being correctly sent from the pin outs. This will verify that’s going on with the Advantech card.

I’ll update you when I know more.
phonic

Post by phonic »

After checking the voltage from pin out it was clear to me what the issue was... The company that made the cables mess up the pins on EGND and ECOM0, so no voltage on the outputs. Never will I trust someone else to make my cables again... I thought I would be saving myself some time, but ended up spending more in trouble shooting the fault and making my own anyway.

so I spend a little time this evening soldering a new cable, and it now works perfectly.

I used 0|0x1e to turn all 4 audio faders on. One issue I’ve now resolved is the presenter could have pressed off, but the GPIO pin is still active, so to resolve I sent 0x00 in case it’s already on but fader was manually turned off, then a sleep command then 0x1e. That works fine.

Thanks for your time in implementing this feature, I will now roll this out to the other studios and get them them switched over to ProppFrexx.

One question that comes to mind is if it’s possible within ProppFrexx to send commands to a remote studio?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Glad to hear, that all is working!
A few comments:
1) Please consider using the ASYNC keyword in your list of control-commands, especially when using the SLEEP command in it. E.g.:
ASYNC
COMMAND1
SLEEP 1000
COMMAND2
This ASYNC command acts as a keyword when placed as the first control command. In this case, all subsequent commands are executed asynchronously in its own thread to avoid blocking other commands.

2) The remote TCP interface (ie. to send commands to another ProppFrexx instance) is explained here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12&p=21

Many Greets,
Bernd
phonic

Post by phonic »

The TCP option in the link provided seems to be the perfect solution for what we need, and simple to use as well.

Thanks again for your help.