Script editor for Top 40

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
franksiegers
Script editor for Top 40

Post by franksiegers »

Hi all,

I'm starting a weekly Top 40 and would like to create a script to save some time and to create a consistent sounding format.

I was thinking of creating one playlist with the 40 tracks and than using the script to add jingles and sweepers. For instance like this:

- jingle #6
- track 40
- track 39 with sweeper ending on Ramp in
- jingle #8

Is it possible to pick the tracks from a playlist or would you advise something else?

And does anyone have some ideas how to add a sweeper (like "Numberrrr 39!!") over a song, using a script?

Thanks for your time,

Frank
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Script editor for Top 40

Post by radio42 »

Either you add them (the Jingles) as extra script-lines entries... that is straight forward.
Or click on arrow (flash icon) in the Options column... and use the automatic Sweeper or Track INsert Transition option.

Click on the '?' icon at the top right to get more help about these options...
franksiegers

Post by franksiegers »

Hi Bernd,

Thanks! And what would you recommend to pick tracks in the right order from a playlist?

Thanks,

Frank
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

The sequential mode.
franksiegers

Post by franksiegers »

Hi,

Thanks, almost done: I've added 40 tracks to the playlist, created a library based on this playlist and created a script with jingle rules (addtrack) and sequential rules that reference the library. But I can't figure out the right history settings: Each time I create a new playlist based on this script, it loads different tracks. I've tried many options with regards to history settings at the script and library level as well as reload options.

Can you please tell me what I need to configure so it always starts with the first track in the playlist/library?

Thanks again for your time, love the product!

Frank
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Please take a look to the script options, ie. click on the ‘?’ icon at the very top of the dialog. Here you find all you need.

In addition there is a reload library field. Here you might select your Top40 lib to ensure it is always most recent.

As for the history. You should select the SuppressHistoryCheck option with each script-line where you select a Top40 track.
franksiegers

Post by franksiegers »

Hi Bernd,

Before coming to the forum, I read the help page and tried several options to get it to work. And I think I understood, however the result is unexpected:

https://imgur.com/a/kpe3w5a
I've tried 'clear history on reload' both On and Off.

https://imgur.com/a/XjprIwJ
In the script I added the library to 'Reload'.

I've tested 2 lines: One with 'SuppressHistoryCheck' enabled and one with disabled. However when I test the script, both lines return another new title on each test.

I hope you can see what I did wrong in the screenshots because I cannot find the cause myself.

Thanks for your patience! :-)

Frank
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

How do you test things?
And do you mind explaining what exactly you experience and what you expect to happen?

Note, that if the script is running, that of course each sequential call (via a script-line) to query the lib will return the next track from the playlist.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

P.S: If you are using Restrictions... you need to check the Script Options: SuppressGlobalRestrictions and SuppressTrackRestrictions.
In addition I would advice to check the 'Force Sync. Reload' option as well.

I just tested it here using regular programs and it works as expected - each media lib which is noted to be reloaded is effectively reloaded and thus it would start from the beginning with each program start in case you only use the sequential script-line mode!

Note, that the script 'Test...' function is NOT doing so, as it remember and restores all current lib pointers, in order to not interfere with regular program/scripting logic.
The script 'Test...' function can thus only be used to validate history errors, but not media lib pointers.
franksiegers

Post by franksiegers »

Hi,

It's all manually testing right now, no scheduler is running.

I'm currently testing by using New > Playlist from script template. The first playlist is correct. I then close this playlist and repeat the step New > Playlist from script template. This second playlist is not correct. I need to completely close PF after which the first playlist is correct again.

It seems like the script is still running in the background? I'm using this for production work and would like to be able to create several playlists from the start, without closing PF. Would that be possible?