Editing station

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Thijmen
Editing station

Post by Thijmen »

Hello,

I have a question, currently running Premium on a VM.
On a VM the premium edition is running fine. However, I want to run the application on my own pc (in the same network) to make changes to scripts and schedulers. Maybe eventually edit TAGs.

Is this already possible? If so, how can I make this possible?
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Editing station

Post by radio42 »

There shouldn't be any Problem - you just need to purchase a license for each seat/PC.
Editing TAGs should come for free with the fee Tagger application provided.
Thijmen

Post by Thijmen »

Don't I need Database MediaLibraries for that? Or is it recommended?
Thijmen

Post by Thijmen »

By the way - i've installed the MySQL ODBC driver and I'm getting a IM002 error when setting up a DB library...
The name of the source is not found or there is no default driver
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Don't know what you tried to configure, but there was probably a driver issue.
A database might only be used for saving meta data - but in that case you would need to maintain that.
One of the big advantages of ProppFrexx is, that it doesn't use or need a DB!

Setting up Media Libraries are explained here (incl. Database based Media Libraries):
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
However, I would not recommend using database based media libs, as the maintenance is much more complex.
(but in the installation folder you will find a file called SQL.txt, which you need to use as a table for your entries - but as said I wouldn't use that!)
Thijmen

Post by Thijmen »

Hi,

Thanks for your response. But how do you keep the libraries in-sync? Or do I need to have the same libraries on the both machines?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

There are two ways:
a) you use them in parallel from a shared drive or folder
b) you use the Media Library Server (see here for details: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1014&p=3914#p3914)

But the essence is, that yes you share the audio files from a common drive/folder.
As media libraries in ProppFrexx are either playlist based libs or folder based libs, there is no need to have a DB (a database would also only hold the meta data and reference to the audio files)!

Meta Data is either stored FULLY in the physical files or stored in a playlist file (which is also automatically created for a folder based lib).
As such is the 'virtual database' this playlist file (which references the audio files).
Thus, there is NO need for a sync, as each PF instance loads the full media lib info into its main memory.
If the external info changes, the data has to be reloaded - which can be automatized and is as quick as a few seconds reading it in the background.

The Media Library Server simply reduces the memory footprint for very large libs (tens or hundred of thousands of files), as it provides a single in-memory database for all media libs - which are then accessed by multiple ProppFrexx instances - thus using 'remote media libs'.