Crackle with Input from Proppfrexx

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Djharzerroller
Crackle with Input from Proppfrexx

Post by Djharzerroller »

Hello friends
I have a slight crackle in the entrance of Proppfrexx.
The audio signal goes cleanly out of Proppfrexx into the radio desk and goes out mixed again. Clearly audible at the headphone output of the desk and in the crm monitor boxes.
At the entrance to Proppfrexx I have a little crackle, which also reaches the listener in the stream.
Listened to by the PC internal sound cards through the send function of the input channel
PC is only configured for Proppfrexx and radio desk.
no WLAN card and only mouse and keyboard on it.
Win 10 Professional 3.6 GHz Ryzen 32 GB RAM
Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Crackle with Input from Proppfrexx

Post by radio42 »

That sounds like the input is already capturing with the related input mixer channel.
So you should check your buffer settings and driver model being used (double-click on the related input mixer channel name and increase the buffer).
As you use the send function, may be you are also mixing multiple sound cards, which are not synchronized using the same clock?
Or the capturing/input is already distorted.
Djharzerroller

Post by Djharzerroller »

I only use one sound card and this is the D&R web station.
The input buffer is set to 300 ms, I had it at 0 and also at 500 ms, but that didn't change anything
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

So I guess you are using the WASAPI driver model.
You might try, if making a right-click on the channel and selecting ‚Recreate and Reset‘ helps.
If not, check your USB cable, and else I am afraid it sounds like a D&R issue.
To be sure, click on the input mixer‘s REC button, which creates a direct recording of the incoming data within the defined recording path (see general settings).
Once you recorded some seconds or minutes. Try to listen to that file. If that also contains the crackles it it the input being already bad.
You might also try a different recorder to validate this.
Are you using any DSP or other VST on the channel?
Djharzerroller

Post by Djharzerroller »

I tested it with WDM / WASAPI / Asio. And always the broadcast recorded. You can hear the crackling there too.
I've already written to D&R Support. And explains the problem. Unfortunately there was no response.
It always crackles, whether with the moderation or with the audio signals and no matter whether old or new mp3 file, even with the produced messages that I get. So it can't be due to the audio material.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

If the crackling is present with all driver models, I even doubt, that adjusting any settings will help.
I once had a user with a broken USB cable.
It is is the mixer itself?
Not sure. I assume we need some D&R assistance.
Do you maybe have another recording tool to test with to be sure, eg. Audacity?
Michel67

Post by Michel67 »

test it with another USB cable (maximum length 1.8 m) and connect everything to a grounded socket
Djharzerroller

Post by Djharzerroller »

I have already changed the USB cable and all devices are connected to earthed sockets. Possible sources of interference are excluded, since only the devices belonging to the system are connected.
Since I come from the DJ and event technology sector, I know something about what could cause interference.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Oki Perfect.
As you have already tried the different driver models as well as increased buffer settings...
Then let’s try to make a recording with another tool to really exclude any ProppFrexx related settings.
Djharzerroller

Post by Djharzerroller »

I think I have solved the problem. I changed the sample rate from 44100 to 48000 in the input channel. And suddenly the crackling was gone.
I then set the sample rate of the output channels to 48000. And will continue to watch that tomorrow. :)