adding two items together in the fixed time elements of a script

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
fjb59
Re: adding two items together in the fixed time elements of a script

Post by fjb59 »

radio42 wrote: 08 Aug 2022 09:50 So an Overlay (AsTimeUpdateSync) would also work?!
I still believe, that an FTE with Count=2 should also do its job. Else you might even use 2 FTEs, eg. one at :15:00 (Jingle) and one at :15:02 (placeholder).
the placeholder hs a time of 90 seconds. this effectivly shunts the next part of the program down 90 seconds. the exec thing only worked once but ignored the duration of the placeholder. so it didn't shunt the next part down by 90 seconds.
how do you use the overlays?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

The Overlay‘s are a 2nd independent Scheduler.
And you can also use a script to execute as an overlay. A script is never looped, but executed only once.
fjb59

Post by fjb59 »

radio42 wrote: 08 Aug 2022 12:17 The Overlay‘s are a 2nd independent Scheduler.
And you can also use a script to execute as an overlay. A script is never looped, but executed only once.
do you have a tuorial on them?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

9th item of the Tutorial Videos.
And here: viewtopic.php?p=222#p222
Note, that the …AsTimeUpdateSync start type dies play the overlays as playlist items and not using the extra Overlay-Player.
fjb59

Post by fjb59 »

radio42 wrote: 08 Aug 2022 21:10 9th item of the Tutorial Videos.
And here: viewtopic.php?p=222#p222
Note, that the …AsTimeUpdateSync start type dies play the overlays as playlist items and not using the extra Overlay-Player.
so i created an overlay script and set it to fire at quarter past the hour. the overlay script contains two items.
a jingle loaded sequentially
a placeholder set for 90 seconds
the script is set to return two items so both should show up
so the i create a programme template this time with no fixed time markers
it loads the overlay as a container but it only contains the jingle and no placeholder and the time of the container was only the length on the jingle, not 90 seconds as it should be. i'm thinking of item in the container is overlaying the other when it shoulldn't be. how do i solve this?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I will take a look after my holiday. As said, I never tried it with a placeholder. Normally a placeholder is a non-playable item with no time considered for back timing.
As a quick solution you might take a silent track oh 90 sec. length, which then ‚plays‘ 90sec. of silence.

I still don’t fully get your use-case, as at that time being you still want to play adverts…and should these then play in parallel with the silence - else you would replace the placeholder anyhow with your advert tracks… so either the time is considered twice (silence plus adverts) or as today, only once (adverts).
Same for the downmix… when you downmix a placeholder it won’t be downmixed.
fjb59

Post by fjb59 »

radio42 wrote: 11 Aug 2022 11:06 I will take a look after my holiday. As said, I never tried it with a placeholder. Normally a placeholder is a non-playable item with no time considered for back timing.
As a quick solution you might take a silent track oh 90 sec. length, which then ‚plays‘ 90sec. of silence.

I still don’t fully get your use-case, as at that time being you still want to play adverts…and should these then play in parallel with the silence - else you would replace the placeholder anyhow with your advert tracks… so either the time is considered twice (silence plus adverts) or as today, only once (adverts).
Same for the downmix… when you downmix a placeholder it won’t be downmixed.
i don't play the adverts. the station plays the adverts. we have to accomodate for them in time so we get the timing correct. i think it would be easier if they let us put the adverts in the we souldn't have this issue but tation policy says nono to that. Too easy i expect
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Okay, so you are ‚just‘ the DJ for the station and you ‚prepare‘ the show. That makes things more clear to me…

So what exactly do you have to deliver?

One mixdown with 90sec. silence, where the stations overlays the adverts?
Or 3 mixdowns (:00:00 to :15:00 + :16:30 to :45:00 + :46:30 to :59:59).
Resp. 5 mixdowns, if you have a 2 hour show?

In any case, it sounds using a 90sec. silence track (which you simple don‘t mixdown seems to be the correct way of doing so. Note, that such track is even available in the installation folder of ProppFrexx.

Else I might look to add a new feature in the future, to add the placeholder time to the back timing only, but still exclude it from the mixdown of course.
fjb59

Post by fjb59 »

radio42 wrote: 11 Aug 2022 19:24 Okay, so you are ‚just‘ the DJ for the station and you ‚prepare‘ the show. That makes things more clear to me…

So what exactly do you have to deliver?

One mixdown with 90sec. silence, where the stations overlays the adverts?
Or 3 mixdowns (:00:00 to :15:00 + :16:30 to :45:00 + :46:30 to :59:59).
Resp. 5 mixdowns, if you have a 2 hour show?

In any case, it sounds using a 90sec. silence track (which you simple don‘t mixdown seems to be the correct way of doing so. Note, that such track is even available in the installation folder of ProppFrexx.

Else I might look to add a new feature in the future, to add the placeholder time to the back timing only, but still exclude it from the mixdown of course.
dj? no, i'm a presenter, but close enough.
it's a five part downmix
first and last part are 15 minutes, the remaining three are 30 but that includes the 90 seconds placeholder at the end of each part except the last part.
i did your suggestion of inserting a blank track into the container after the jingle then adding the container to the fixed time markers., it worked but it's a messy way of doing it.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

A presenter is to me a DJ - sorry.
And yes 5 parts exactly as described above.
So I then assume, you ‚only‘ need the placeholder to be considered in the back timeline (also as described above).