Add "SCHEDULER_SET_FILE" control-command

You are missing a feature or need an enhancement? Post your suggestion here!
Maartenvn
Add "SCHEDULER_SET_FILE" control-command

Post by Maartenvn »

I am working for a radio with 2 stations, running 2 Proppfrexx instances on 2 different computers.
We have one studio for livestreaming on both stations. This studio contains another PC running Proppfrexx. In order to use the scheduler of one of the 2 Proppfrexx instances we have to manually change the scheduler path in order to have the correct programs running.

This flow could be automated by introducting a "SCHEDULER_SET_FILE" control-command which takes the path of a calendar file as argument and updates the scheduler on-demand.

There is already a "SCHEDULER_GET_FILE" available to get the current path, so a set control-command would be a great addition :)

This command is the only thing missing to fully automate our workflow as we already have software to automatically go live on the correct station.

Thank you in advance!
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Add "SCHEDULER_SET_FILE" control-command

Post by radio42 »

I can take a look at it.
But I still don’t fully understand your use case.
This other PC also runs ProppFrexx (next to the 2 stations you are talking about)?

So on this other PC you need to change the scheduler. Ie. you switch from one scheduler to the other scheduler.
What is the background/reason for doing that?

You could theoretically also use two instances of ProppFrexx and then you would not need to change or switch schedulers.
The only issue I see is, that you could not switch the scheduler in the background, while it is actively used or edited - how can we/you ensure this?
Maartenvn

Post by Maartenvn »

The 2 station PC's are stored in a server room and are used for non-stop music playback. The third Proppfrexx instance is for livestreams with a live presenter (running on a PC in a studio that outputs to the mixer instead).

In order to have all the playlists & overlays, created those non-stop servers, on the studio PC the calendar file is stored on a centralised storage location.
If a presenter does a livestream for Station A and the next presenter (eg: the next hour) wants to do a livestream on Station B someone of the technical team must change the scheduler path in order to load the correct playlists/overlays for Station B.

Running two instances of Proppfrexx is not really possible here as the mixer channels are assigned using USB audio output, which only supports output from 1 device.
The only issue I see is, that you could not switch the scheduler in the background, while it is actively used or edited - how can we/you ensure this?
In our use-case we would have custom software to temporary disable the scheduler (using a control-command), change the path (using "SCHEDULER_SET_FILE"), and re-enable the scheduler (using a control-command).

"SCHEDULER_SET_FILE" could potentially give an error if the scheduler is enabled or ideally would just simulate disabling/enabling the scheduler instead.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Now I got your use case. Ie. as you are using this 3rd PC only in a live environment, it might work, as executing all events at all times might not be 100% guaranteed (eg. assume a new overlay or program is just about to start, but just disabled by this new command beforehand- and after switching time, it might not start, as it is already late).
If this scenario is not critical for you, I can try to implement it into the next version.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

The new v4.3.2.0 contains the requested control-commands.
Maartenvn

Post by Maartenvn »

Thank you for the quick response and implementation! :)