Configuration Questions

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
TPSchultz
Configuration Questions

Post by TPSchultz »

We experienced corruption in Windows 10 and had to reformat the drive and reload everything. I did not have backup files with the Proppfrexx settings. I've got basic functionality working again, but have stumbled across two anomalies that I can't figure out. I loaded v4.3.2.0 onto this PC. The other PC we have running is still on v4.2.0.8. I'm using this PC to compare settings with.

First, we often run manual playlists (i.e., building a playlist by dragging and dropping from selected music folders). This works. However, I can't edit the list once the items are in the list. If I try to drag an item and move it, the little arrow on the left shows me where it is to be moved to, but nothing happens when I let go (drop). This happens whether the list is playing or just being built off-line (nothing playing). I can delete items and add new ones, but the new ones always go to the bottom of the list; I can't insert in the middle of the list. In searching the forum, the only setting I could find was the "Allow Edit running Scripts" option in the Scripts/Scheduling section, which is checked. What option am I overlooking?

The next anomaly I stumbled across is the playlist layout. If I select the columns and size them the way we want, how do I save that layout? As soon as I close things down and open up a new/blank playlist, all of the columns are back to factory defaults, which we don't want. I don't remember what I did a couple years ago to save the layout.

Lastly, should I be able to take the configuration file(s) from the working PC and move them to the new installation? Would that save me some time or just cause problems due to the differences in versions? Which files or directory would I copy and move to the new installation?
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Configuration Questions

Post by radio42 »

What do you mean by "However, I can't edit the list once the items are in the list."?
Unfortunately I can not reproduce or follow what you are saying.

To save layout: You need to do this 'manually', e.g. once you arranged your layout in the playlist, go to the ribbon tag 'Miscellaneous' and click on the 'Save Layout' button...in the sub-menu you can select to save the layout either 'for manual Playlists' and/or 'for scheduled Playlists'.

Yes, you can copy over the config files, but exclude the 'Default.mixer' file, as this contains the sound card settings, which might be different.
And also note, that this also only works, if all other references use the same paths/drives; i.e. your drives and paths must be the same on both PCs...
TPSchultz

Post by TPSchultz »

Thanks for the reply.

With respect to saving the layout, I knew I was missing some step, but it was getting late, I was tired and couldn't remember what I needed to do to save it. Your suggestion should work, and I will try it when I get back to the studios.

As for editing the playlist, I tried to be as descriptive as possible, but in a nutshell, I can't manipulate the order/sequence of the items. If I try to drag an item from one position to another, it looks like it will do it, but then doesn't. For example, if I try to drag a song in position 10 on the list up to position 6, I can't do it. I can add and remove items to the end of the list only, but cannot move items once they are in the list. I'm not suggesting this is a bug; I just can't figure out why it isn't working. I was hoping it was something in the configuration preventing me from changing the order. I will try again later when I get back to the studios.

Yes, I understand about some settings not being the same, but if I can get the majority of them to be correct, minor touch-ups would be acceptable.
TPSchultz

Post by TPSchultz »

Good news, and I didn't have to do anything. The IT folks had installed some other software today, but more importantly, they ended up power cycling the PC at least twice. Yesterday, I had only done warm reboots. Whatever was stuck somewhere cleared and things are now working as expected.

Thanks for the guidance on saving the layout settings.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Glad all is working again!