MODStream behavior with overlays

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Maartenvn
MODStream behavior with overlays

Post by Maartenvn »

We have some questions about the behavior of the MODStream player with the Overlay player.

We have 2 instances running ProppFrexx:
* A "non-stop" playing 24/7 and streaming to multiple internet streams
* A "live studio", only in use when doing live radio shows.

Right now we are routing audio from the live studio to the non-stop using a direct LINE input on a soundcard. This works fine but this setup does not work when building a second studio on a different location.

That is why we want to switch to using the MODStream player, but this has some issues with overlays. We use overlays on both ProppFrexx instances to insert advertisements, such that they run to the time they are scheduled and are not skipped by any live dj.

The default behavior is that when an overlay is played while the MODStream is active, it interrupts the MODStream and resumes right after. We don't want this as our live studio has it's own overlay player with the same advertisements.

We fixed this by enabling "Manual Live Assist" when a MODStream player is active, thus preventing Overlays from playing on the non-stop while live and interrupting the show. This works fine but has an issue: when an overlay is visible on the non-stop the "Start With Next Track" option does not work and the MODStream keeps waiting for a free player.

Is there a way to make sure the MODStream does play when the track finishes, while an overlay is also visible? Or is there a different method to prevent overlay interruption?

Maybe an extra argument "MODSTREAM_WATCHER_START" to the modstream player to disable overlay breaks and play after the next track when an overlay is visible could also solve this problem?

Thank you in advance!
radio42
Site Admin
Re: MODStream behavior with overlays

Post by radio42 »

So if I understand you correctly, you need an option (on the non-stop system) to suppress any overlays while the MOD Stream Player is active.

But what is your exact needed/expected behavior, when the overlay is already started (on the non-stop system) and then a little bit after the MODStream Player is starting and waiting in the Next Track?

As when the MODStream waits, it must first wait til the running Overlay finishes?! As the same Overlay would also play on the remote machine?
Or what should happen ? Here I am a bit confused?
Maartenvn

Post by Maartenvn »

Yes, we would like an option to suppress any overlays while the MODStream player is active.

The issue is when an overlay is waiting to start:
* Overlay for 7:05 shows up at 7:00 with a 5 minute countdown.
* MODStream player becomes active at 7:01.
* Current playing track ends at 7:02, so the MODStream should now be able to start (as the "Start With Next Track" option is True)
==> This is the issue: the MODStream does not start automatically here, because the overlay is visible.
Last edited by Maartenvn on 01 Feb 2023 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Maartenvn

Post by Maartenvn »

When the overlay is already playing the MODStream must wait for the overlay to finish and start immediately after.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I see and take a look - indeed, maybe a new option is needed, I will double check this...
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

A maybe be stupid question: Have you tried to implement your requirement to take over a remote live stream via a script (LoadTrack via URL) instead of using the MODStream Watcher?
This is for example explained here:
https://www.proppfrexx.radio42.com/foru ... 8841#p8841

I.e. you create a program scheduler entry for your 'live show' and use a dedicate script, which (eg. as its first line) uses the LoadTrack mode to play that URL (pretty much like for the MODStream).
And for that program scheduler entry you can now already specify the 'SuppressAllOverlays' option.
I could imagine, that this is exactly what you are looking for?!
Maartenvn

Post by Maartenvn »

That wouldn't really work for us, as live programs are not always scheduled and someone may be sick or late in the studio, causing silence or delays when a program starts.

That is why I made some custom software to switch to the live studio on demand using the MODStream Player.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I added a new 'Suppress Overlays' option to the MODStream settings, see general settings.
When checked, any Overlay will be suppressed when the MODStreamWatcher is started. This includes any started, but waiting Overlays (only already playing Overlays will not be cancelled).
I hope this feature helps you out with your requirement.
Maartenvn

Post by Maartenvn »

Thank you for implementing!

There is still an issue, though. When opening the MODStream Player while an overlay is visible (but not already started), and providing the "Start With Next Track" option, the MODStream does not start automatically.

I am using the following command to start the overlay player:

Code: Select all

MODSTREAM_WATCHER_START <url>||True|True|True
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Have you set the new option ‚Suppress Overlays‘?
If yes, the Overlay should be cancelled - else the Overlay has Priority over the MODStream. This is by design.
I assume your Overlay has a StartType Fixed (as a Soft start) would already trigger the Overlay with the Next Track?
As you see, the Overlay and the MODStream might compete with the ‚Next Track‘.
And with a Fixed Start Overlay, there is no need to start it Minutes before the actual Start Time, eg. here you might start the MODStream before the Overlay (and not the other way around).