Is it possible to assign AutoDuck to specific overlay track?

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
end0re
Is it possible to assign AutoDuck to specific overlay track?

Post by end0re »

e.g. I wish to add a pre-recorded voice track that has some gaps of silence and during those silence moments I wish to amplify the overlayed track to make it sound as if someone is live on radio using the microphone and AutoDuck feature and then attenuate the overlayed track when something is above x dB threshold inside the track.

For example, if I use AutoDuck and speak into microphone then output mixer is automatically attenuated when mic input is above X dB threshold and output mixer is amplified when AutoDuck detects mic input is below X dB threshold - I wish to do the same, but with pre-recorded track.

Perhaps I could do it with commands? I was wondering maybe I can enable silence detection and then use the Application.OnDetectSilence/Application.OnDetectNoise and then make an overlay track output to specific mixer (that is used only for those silence detection overlays), but how do I specify that this overlay track should be played on specific mixer?
I see that I can specify DJ players to output to specific mixer, but how do I configure specific DJ player to play only those special overlay tracks?

Perhaps there is a better solution for this?
Essentially I wish to fake a live radio station and would be cool to be able to fake a DJ talking live on mic with AutoDuck (but from pre-recorded track)

Thank you *bow*
end0re
Re: Is it possible to assign AutoDuck to specific overlay track?

Post by end0re »

I added a new mixer output called "OVLAY", then I went to "Routing" -> set "Overlay" to use "OVLAY" mixer
Then in the same "Routing" window I opened "Routing per Media Type" -> and set "Music II" to use "OVLAY"
Then I added 2 tracks to playlist, 1st track is type "Music", 2nd track I changed type to "Music II" and for 2nd track I also manually set Special Event -> Track-Insert transition "End with Next of Previous track" and the 2nd track was merged into 1st track upon save.
But when the 1st track plays the 2nd (overlay) track doesn't play to OVLAY mixer even though I specified in Routing for track type "Music II" to output to mixer "OVLAY"
Question: Why the Track-Insert track that had type "Music II" didn't play on OVLAY mixer?

2nd question: If I go to Mixing/Fading settings -> Mixing per Media Type -> for "Music II" track type set Track-Insert "End with Next of Previous track" and save -> then add 2 tracks to playlist -> 1st as type Music and 2nd which has type "Music II" -> the "Music II" track isn't merged into 1st track and it's added to another DJ player. Though if I manually assign Special Event to already added track in playlist the Track-Insert then it is merged into 1st track.
Why it doesn't do that with the pre-assigned media type setting?

p.s. I'm testing out the demo version, wanted to make sure ProppFrexx has what I desire before purchasing, so far it looks very promising, but I'm a little banged up in the head and can't understand how to achieve some stuff
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Currently there is no such function available.
Note, that ducking requires two audio streams… a source (who’s level is monitored) and a target (to which the volume level adjustment is applied accordingly).
Theoretically everything is possible, but ProppFrexx was not designed to target those scenarios. Currently only input mixer channels can be selected as sources.

So I guess I will not add track individual ducking.
An option in the future might be to add auto ducking to mixer channels as sources as well, but as said, currently there are no such plans.
end0re

Post by end0re »

> Currently there is no such function available.

Understood, I was able to setup the monitoring, but I was unable to make the track that has Special Event -> Track-Insert -> "End with Next of Previous track" to play on different output mixer (the one thats being monitored). Is that possible?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Regarding Track-Inserts: When a track-insert is happening, it is merged into the main track. That main track determines the routing, as the routing happens on the level of the DJ Player, i.e. the output of the DJ Player is changed accordingly. As such is in your case the track, which was inserted/merged, not relevant anymore (or in other words you can not route track-inserts to a dedicated output individually).

To your 2nd questions: It should be merged as well, but note the 'Max. Transiiton Length' setting - maybe this applies here? And note, that those automatic transitions are checked, at the time a new track is loaded to a DJ Player - so maybe in your test scenario the track was already loaded to the DJ Player?
The manual 'Special Event' dialog doesn't do these extra checks...

Overall, note, that each software has limits ;) So it might be, that not everything is always fully possible - but that's the reason for this forum...ask your questions and we can try to find possible solutions (if they exist). For track individual ducking, the answer is unfortunately: I am afraid, no, such feature does currently not exist.
end0re

Post by end0re »

> [..] When a track-insert is happening, it is merged into the main track That main track determines the routing [..]

Oof, sounds like a pain to implement separation :o
I also tested if track events (specifically on played event) worked for Track-Insert tracks, but I assume those events also don't fire for the same reason (the merge)?
Had an idea - maybe I could load the same file (on loaded event) into standby player and then play the standby player (on play event), but have the Track-Inserted track to be silent and only standby player playing that overlay (to the monitored mixer) :D
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I do currently have no idea on how this could be done. And yes, separation is indeed not possible.