History option under Edit Media Library Properties

You are missing a feature or need an enhancement? Post your suggestion here!
Cabzy
History option under Edit Media Library Properties

Post by Cabzy »

I like using the History option under Edit Media Library Properties as it allows my station to not repeat already played tracks.
Currently when the history limit is reached for a particular folder, no more tracks play and the player says empty.
Is it possible when the history limit is reached for the folder history to reset and the tracks start to play again.

This way I still allow maximum song separation but the folder will never stop playing tracks.

I have experienced instances where no more tracks are being selected from a particular folder because the history count has reached.

Thanks Cary
radio42
Site Admin
Re: History option under Edit Media Library Properties

Post by radio42 »

I advice to watch the following tutorial #11:
viewtopic.php?t=1018

Also note, that there is a script-line option called UseLastTrackOnFinalFail (to use the last picked track, if the history check finally fails).

However, this will not give you the maximum separation.
Note, that you will already get the maximum separation, if you don’t use any history at all, but use the script-line mode ‚LeastRecentlyPlayed‘. This mode picks a track from the library which was not played for the maximum number of days. Equally last recently played tracks are then picked random.
This mode already achieves what you are looking for.

As such, use the history settings wisely as it often makes it worth and not better ;-)
Cabzy

Post by Cabzy »

Using 'LeastRecentlyPlayed‘. How do I set the maximum number of days? I've used this previously and noticed the same set of tracks playing the next day from a folder with over 500 tracks.

The playlist is 2 hours long and would not go through 500 tracks in such a short space of time. Clearly I have a maximum number of days either set to default or unknowingly set wrong.

Thanks
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

LeastRecentlyPlayed really does what it supposed to do. As said, it only plays the track again, if the tracks are all played thru.
How do you test the above behavior?

Note, that 500 tracks with an average length of 4 minutes is good for ‚only’ 33 hours.
BUT, to give at least some randomness (as else you could use the Sequential mode). The LeastRecentlyPlayed mode actually uses a random track from the last equal 6 hours. Ie. 500 tracks are actually only good for a 27 hour separation.
If you are using more libs, than the story changes of course… so the whole script is important.
But I am pretty sure , that it does exactly what it does!

Another thing is, if you are using other rules in top, eg. Artist repeat rules…
Try the script ‚Test…‘ function and then you’ll see what is happening…
Cabzy

Post by Cabzy »

Great explantion.. Makes so much more sense what is happening.

Thanks !