Import CSV Playlist in Media Libraries

You are missing a feature or need an enhancement? Post your suggestion here!
Quentin D
Import CSV Playlist in Media Libraries

Post by Quentin D »

Hello Bernd,

I see ProppFrexx has the nice feature of saving playlist in the CSV format. I was wondering if you planned to implement the same feature in reverse to import a csv playlist into the Media Libraries? Or did I missed something and it is already possible?

Thanks

Quentin
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Import CSV Playlist in Media Libraries

Post by radio42 »

No. ProppFrexx already supports many different playlist formats - which are all standards. A CSV format is no standard and has no defined order to represent a media library.
The export is only there to support reconciliation of 3rd party apps.

You can however import a log file into ProppFrexx and issue it as playlists. Eg. you can import external log files representing a playlist to be played at a specific time as eg. a Program entry. Yes. This is supported.

But it is not supported to import a csv as a media library.
Quentin D

Post by Quentin D »

Thanks for your reply.
I am looking for a way to keep a playlist updated (valid path) in case files are renamed/moved or deleted, but I will explore other solutions.

Quentin
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Why should a csv import help in such case?
If you 'just' want to do this, you can define a folder based media lib and activate the 'Auto Watch' option with that media lib.

From the online help (click on the '?' at the top right of the dialog):
Auto Watch:
If checked, the selected media library will automatically be monitored. In this case any external change to the library will automatically result in a reload. This will only work for local playlist and folder libraries. This allows you for example to monitor a folder library (when you now manually copy an audio file to the folder of the library the track(s) will automatically be added and when you delete an audio file from the folder the track is automatically be removed).
Quentin D

Post by Quentin D »

I already use the Media Libraries with Auto Watch feature for other purposes, such as checking for new podcasts/shows.
If you are curious why I asked this question :
As I use ProppFrexx for personal use, my media libraries contains complete albums. The idea is to make playlists of selected tracks within these albums but without create duplicates of those files (that's what I did until now). But as the library might change (tag update, renaming, ...), the path of the files will also change. To control the changes I regulary export a csv file from mp3tag, and then compare the changes in Excel with Power Query. Then I could fix the changes manually and export an up-to-date csv file.
But I have to admit this process is a bit cumbersome. Another option would be to use a specific tag property for each file, and use filters in a script. The drawback is the file is modified, which trigger a file overwrite for backups.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Being honest, I can not really follow your flow or idea resp. the need to such way of organising tracks.
Why would you need to create duplicates.
To me it sounds you should use playlist based media libs?!
Quentin D

Post by Quentin D »

radio42 wrote: 06 Jun 2023 23:06 To me it sounds you should use playlist based media libs?!
That was exactly the idea, but as mentioned in the previous post, what happens to the playlist (.pfp) when the files have moved or being renamed? It will result in an incomplete playlist with dead entries, right?
So in my case the most reliable solution seems to be using tags in the files, then use the filter feature in a script.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Yes, when files become dead due to being removed, renamed etc. this will of course need to be reflected in a playlist based media lib.

The main question is: who is the master?! Meaning in which system do you want to maintain the meta data and the library collections?

If ProppFrexx is the master - all other systems have to follow.
If you edit your files outside of ProppFrexx- then ProppFrexx has to follow…

In the latter case, I would also recommend some TAGs, which indicate, if or how often you like to play a track. And yes, this can only be implemented via filter rules on script level.