External Mixer

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Cabzy
External Mixer

Post by Cabzy »

Is Airlite the only external mixer that can be used with ProppFrexx?

If not where can I find setup directions?
radio42
Site Admin
Re: External Mixer

Post by radio42 »

No, almost any external mixer can be used with ProppFrexx.
The integration heavily depends on the mixer and its interface.
Is it audio or GPIO (remote control) integration you are looking for ?
What mixer would you like to integrate?

Ember+ (Lawo, DHD, Studer etc.), Livewire+ (Axia etc.), Wheatnet-IP (Wheatstone), AxelTech Oxygen, TCP/IP, MIDI, OSC, Keyboard Hotkeys, Serial-IO, GamePort, Velleman, IO-Warrior, D&R-Airence are currently supported.

Since v.4.0 most GPIO interfaces (except MIDI, TCP, Hotkeys, Serial and OSC) have been moved to an external application called GPIO Client:
ProppFrexx GPIOClient.png
Extensible GPIO Client/Server architecture
The “ProppFrexx GPIOClient.exe” application – which will be launched automatically if enabled (see general settings, section ‘GPIO/Remoting’).
This is a 32-bit application, which hosts the following interfaces:
- Velleman IO, IO-Warrior, GamePort, D&R Airence, D&R Airlite, Ember+, Livewire, Wheatstone, AxelTech, UDP, REST API etc.
The mapping configuration of these interfaces is now also directly hosted/configured in that new “ProppFrexx GPIOClient” application.

NOTE: The ‘GPIO Extension Service’ must be enabled in order to use the above (see general settings, section ‘GPIO/Remoting’)!
By default this also automatically starts the “ProppFrexx GPIOClient” application (see ’GPIO Services’).
The ‘password’ to be used with the “ProppFrexx GPIOClient” application is always the same password as defined in the general settings, section ‘GPIO/Remoting’ for the ‘TCP RemoteControl Server’.
(the default is ‘ProppFrexx’)

In the “ProppFrexx GPIOClient.exe” application you now configure the mapping of the external mixer event to a ProppFrexx control-command for any remoting activity, e.g. FaderStart etc.
Here is an example of the mapping for D&R (but it is almost exactly the same logic for any other interface):
GPIO Mapping.png
First specify the external interface parameters, like e.g. the device selection, IP address or port address.
To define the event mapping (mixer event -> ProppFrexx control-command) click on the 'flash icon' at the end of the 'Mapping' combo box (in which you could theoretically specif multiple mapping):
Event Mapping.png
In the upcoming Event Mapping dialog you can now specify as many event mappings as you need. One row is a mapping of one mixer event,
In the bottom part of the dialog you specify the external mixer event being send by the mixer AND you specify the ProppFrexx control-command(s) to execute. Click on the 'Edit' button to invoke the control-command builder dialog.
And finally press the 'New' or 'Set' button to use that mapping... repeat this for all your mappings.

Use the 'Monitor' button in the above mentioned configuration dialog to monitor incoming external mixer events and how they map to your defined ProppFrexx control-commands.

As mostly all users use their own workflow and I do not own all mixers, there is no ready-map mapping availabe.
But the flexibility allows you to define every possible configuration. For all existing interfaces there are users using it already. Maybe they want to share their configuration? Currently I only received one here for D&R however. But sharing is up to the users of course.

To send commands from ProppFrexx to the mixer, there are related control-commands as well available, see the User Appendix of the manual for al available commands.

I hope this gives you a quite good overview on how to use the GPIO interface...
Cabzy

Post by Cabzy »

Thanks for the reply, We want to use the mixer for audio, for when we are broadcasting live. Currently any dj has to adjust the on screen sliders using a mouse, we’d much prefer the traditional mixer.
As for the mixer type, I currently use an analog which the mics connects, this mixer routes (USB) into the PC and through ProppFrexx.
This is a Maćkie ProFX12
My Presonus Studiolive is a digital mixer used for my productions
I also have an Audio 2000 AMX7332 (Cheap mixer from Amazon)
Can the analog mixers be used? I don’t make much money doing this and hope i will not have to purchase another digital mixer.
Finally, Thank you for your support through 2023.. Happy New Year!
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Sure, any analog mixers can be used of course!
Here you just need to connect your sound device(s) of our PC with a classical cable to the mixer and you are good to go!

For the integration with analog consoles take a look here: viewtopic.php?p=48
That depends on the GPIO capabilities of the mixer...
Cabzy

Post by Cabzy »

So if i want the ability of adjusting the slider for each ProppFrexx player using an external mixer I will need to map GPIO settings.. Correct?

I want to use a keyboard / mouse to add and remove tracks from ProppFrexx players as we currently do, but need to have the ability of adjusting each player volume slider using an external mixer.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

No, the audio signal and level has nothing to do with the GPIO. I.e.
You play at ‚full level‘ via your sound device to the external mixer and only control the volume via the faders of the mixer. The ProppFrexx internal faders are that case not used and kind of untouched!

You then typically connect the mics as well tonypur external mixer and feed the final output of your external mixer with a recording device of your PC. Ie. you use a mixer input channel as the source for the streaming.

The GPIO of your mixer are optional (if available) to use eg. a fader start to trigger the playback of a DJ Player. That’s all. If you don’t need that, your external mixer doesn’t even need any GPIO at all.
Cabzy

Post by Cabzy »

OK.. Now the tutorial makes more sense. Thank you.
I’m good from here.
Cabzy

Post by Cabzy »

Quick Note
This worked and made a big difference when we go live,
Thanks!