Deviders between artist

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
csaba1986
Deviders between artist

Post by csaba1986 »

Hi there,

I have a quick question regarding the dividers between multiple artist.
I would like to use / instead of ; I can make this change easily in the Tag editor.
My question is that can I use space or it is strictly require the symbol to be after the artist.

So instead of this: Timbaland; Nelly Furtado; Justin Timberlake
Can I do Timbaland / Nelly Furtado / Justin Timberlake or do I need to do Timbaland/ Nelly Furtado/ Justin Timberlake

Many thanks
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Deviders between artist

Post by radio42 »

In ProppFrexx you can use the comma or semicolon for the UI input fields. This is eg. for the editor (the token edit).
There is no plan to also add the ‚/‘ for those editors.

Note, that for direct TAG fields within the audio files those multi value fields (like the Artist tag) are fully supported as arrays. This means, that here all value are supported as defined in the resp. tagging format standard. Eg. for ID3v2 the / is a supported Artist separator.

Or where do you need it exactly ?
csaba1986

Post by csaba1986 »

So I can use the / directly in the Metafield and Proppfrexx will recognize it as multiple artist?!
Tag Editor.jpg
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

No. As I tried to explain above (maybe I was not clear):
In the User Interface of ProppFrexx you use the semicolon ";" to devide multiple artists!

In the audio files tag data this is then translated according to the format of the TAG - transparently!

Example:
In the ProppFrexx User Interface (UI) you specify:

Code: Select all

Artist1; Artist2; Artist3
In ID3v3 this might translate to: Artist1 / Artist2 / Artist3. Other tag formats even use other separators or formats to specify multi field values.

Regardless. In ProppFrexx for ALL tag formats always use the semicolon ";" to display (and edit) multiple artists!

What might be confusing is the following (which is very specific to MP3, ID3v2):
When you enter "Artist1 / Artist2 / Artist3" within ProppFrexx as an artist; this will store that artist text as is 1:1 into ID3v2. And saves it as is.
In ID3v2, the "/" is however used as a multi field separator. So when you 're-read' the tag data of this file, it will now be shown as: "Artist1; Artist2; Artist3". This is because of the above mentioned conversion.
So here (for ID3v2) it might look, as if ProppFrexx also supports the "/" as an artist separator. But this is only true for ID3v2 tags. This would not work for other formats, e.g. mp4!

As such, always use the semicolon ";" for maximum compatibility and support for all file formats.