Track control commands gone after update

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
Michiel Bouwmeester
Track control commands gone after update

Post by Michiel Bouwmeester »

Hi Bernd,

I just updated the production machine to version 33 and have lost all the track control commands after the update.
Reversing the install back did not get them back either.

Do you any idea (if even possible) how to recover them ?

After further investigating I found that ALL mixer settings are gone. Also the "pre fade meters" don't work anymore.
Michiel Bouwmeester
Re: Track control commands gone after update

Hi Bernd,

Thanks for the response :)

Every setting that was made in the mixer was gone. Midi, Track command.. everything.
All the setting in the "general" setting are in tact. (so also the general midi settings)

However all commands like "On fader...." those where all gone.

Also when PF started all faders where ar 0.0db (Full open) That on it's own could be dangerous if you route certain sources.
No damage tho, I always start the mixer first before anything else.

I have now made the settings again and will safe the "mixer" file incase it happens again.

I will investigate the "pre fade" meters again to see if I missed any setings there.
Michiel Bouwmeester

Bernd,

I have tested it again and in version .32 the pre-fade meters don't work aswell. On the live machine here (.33) they don;t work either.
I have "re-update" from .32 to .33 and this time everything went normal. So I really donnot know what happened.

Only think I can think of is that PF for some reason was not able to open them and there for made new ones?

I am gonna try a full new install: What files must I keep to prefent me loosing all my settings, just the 3 you mentioned above?

Just been thinking... This weeks windows patches have been done yesterday... could that be of influence?
Michiel Bouwmeester

Ok, I did a full new install. Copied the 3 files and the setting are there.

I made a temporary channel for routing, when I try to deleted that PF crashes.
I tried with disabling the audiocard, still no joy. The channel works, but as soon as i try to deleted PF crashes.
Even trying to change the audiocard settings on the channel make PF crash.

** This item has been resolved: problem was that there was still a channel mapping active.

That leaves the pre-fade meters. (i am asuming the initial problem may be was windows related.. I'll make local back ups of PF now)
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

What 'crash' did you exactly get when removing a mixer channel or changing the audiocard setting? Any entries in the Error.log file?

Regarding the Pre-Fade Meters:
Not sure what you exactly expect - as Pre-Fading applies to SND2 only?
Testing it here it works as expected, meaning, if 'Pre-Fading' is selected for SND the following applies:
a) if the 'PLM Source' is selected to 'Show Output' it will always show the output level:
As the output level is always post-fading it will fall, if you lower the fader.
b) if the 'PLM Source' is selected to 'Show SND2' it will always show the snd2 level:
When SND2 is pre-fading, it will not fall if you lower the fader and always show the full level.
When SND2 is post-fading, it will fall if you lower the fader.
c) if the 'PLM Source' is selected to 'Auto' it will always depend on the current SND state.

Regarding the Windows Update and Settings:
Note, that ProppFrexx contains an extra Backup and Restore feature - see the 'Tools' ribbon.
The 'Create Backup...' and 'Restore Backup...' lets you select what settings you might want to backup resp. restore.
So yes, it is recommended to use these features.

In addition I really suggest to NOT turn on the Automatic Windows Update feature on an operational production machine which should run 24 by 7.
Windows updates might change drivers and all other kind of settings in the background, which can not guarantee a fully stable system at all time.
Instead I suggest performing manual Windows Updates at planned intervalls - e.g. monthly.
When performing a Windows Update - first close ProppFrexx, perform the Update and then reboot your machine.

However, it is puzzling, that config files are gone!
Are they really not existing in the ProppFrexx AppUserData folder anymore, since ProppFrexx definitly never deletes these files?
So it must be some other process which deleted files!
Michiel Bouwmeester

Hi Bernd,

Please find my repsonse below for clarity :)

radio42 wrote:What 'crash' did you exactly get when removing a mixer channel or changing the audiocard setting? Any entries in the Error.log file?

Regarding the Pre-Fade Meters:
Not sure what you exactly expect - as Pre-Fading applies to SND2 only?
Testing it here it works as expected, meaning, if 'Pre-Fading' is selected for SND the following applies:
a) if the 'PLM Source' is selected to 'Show Output' it will always show the output level:
As the output level is always post-fading it will fall, if you lower the fader.
b) if the 'PLM Source' is selected to 'Show SND2' it will always show the snd2 level:
When SND2 is pre-fading, it will not fall if you lower the fader and always show the full level.
When SND2 is post-fading, it will fall if you lower the fader.
c) if the 'PLM Source' is selected to 'Auto' it will always depend on the current SND state.
I am an idot.. ALL my mixer settings where gone as i said.. but i forgot to restore the "PLM source". That now is back on auto and it works as before.

Regarding the Windows Update and Settings:
Note, that ProppFrexx contains an extra Backup and Restore feature - see the 'Tools' ribbon.
The 'Create Backup...' and 'Restore Backup...' lets you select what settings you might want to backup resp. restore.
So yes, it is recommended to use these features.
I'll use this feature, but knowing wich files are most important to me I will keep a manual version aswell, just in case.

In addition I really suggest to NOT turn on the Automatic Windows Update feature on an operational production machine which should run 24 by 7.
Windows updates might change drivers and all other kind of settings in the background, which can not guarantee a fully stable system at all time.
Instead I suggest performing manual Windows Updates at planned intervalls - e.g. monthly.
When performing a Windows Update - first close ProppFrexx, perform the Update and then reboot your machine.

I personally never run windows update automaticly, after it one time almost rebooted the pc during a live show a few years back :).
That said: On the 24/7 pc it is important to keep it as tight as possible since it is directly connected to the net. I normally tend to do the updates
very early in the morning when there are (almost) no listeners since it will be a downtime of a few minutes in my case.

However, it is puzzling, that config files are gone!
Are they really not existing in the ProppFrexx AppUserData folder anymore, since ProppFrexx definitly never deletes these files?
So it must be some other process which deleted files!

I have no idea where they went. After the reboot PF started normal with no errors... but without mixer settings. Strange was that I did have all the channels and mappings.
But those are set in the config file I think and not in the .mixer?

About the "crashing" when deleting a channel try this, It happens here every time:

Create a output channel.
Map the monitor out to also send to the newly mapped channel.
Restart PF. (i always restart PF when i do something with the audio)
When PF is restarted try to deleted the channel... it wil disapear from the mixer and .5 sec later PF crashes.

I cannot find anything in the PF log, but I do have entries in the windows log:

Foutbucket , type 0
Naam van gebeurtenis: APPCRASH
Antwoord: Niet beschikbaar
Id van CAB-bestand: 0

Handtekening van probleem:
P1: ProppFrexx ONAIR.exe
P2: 3.0.11.33
P3: 511a9e21
P4: BASSMIX.dll
P5: 2.4.7.4
P6: 509ba3fc
P7: c00000fd
P8: 00001799
P9:
P10:

Bijgevoegde bestanden:
C:\Users\Chiel\AppData\Local\Temp\WER9369.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

Deze bestanden zijn mogelijk hier beschikbaar:
C:\Users\Chiel\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_ProppFrexx ONAIR_1fc6985aef5ecfd8beab2759a7074f439e440c6_108a9952

Analysesymbool:
Opnieuw zoeken naar oplossing: 0nRapport-id: d6fc7a59-777a-11e2-bf9c-20cf30f55dc0

pff sorry for the very long post, I am not trying to ruin your weekend :)
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

That's a bit strange, as the installation or updater only touches the installation directory whereas all setting are saved in the ProppFrexx AppUserData folder.
And what do you mean by "track control commands"? Do you mean Midi mappings?

The mixer settings are saved in files *.mixer (located in the ProppFrexx AppUserData folder).
The Midi maping settings are saved in files *.midi (located in the ProppFrexx AppUserData folder).
The genral settings are saved in the file "ProppFrexx ONAIR.config" (located in the ProppFrexx AppUserData folder).

Are these files gone? If yes, something else must have deleted them...
Also the Level-Meter display options haven't been changed in v.33...so that is all a bit puzzling.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

No problem at all, I'll take a look and see what I can do about it...THX for the additional info!
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

After some research, the user figured a harddisk crash with bad-sectors...which was the root cause for the disappearing mixer settings - as these files have been effected by the bad-sectors.