internet stream stuttering

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
bschelst
internet stream stuttering

Post by bschelst »

Hello,

When we are trying an internet stream in our script (and also with modstream), the sound output is stuttering. Using loadtrack, and this only when using a stream as input (identified as stream1 over here). If we play normal songs, there is no stuttering
The first 5-10 minutes are working fine, then the "stuttering" starts. Every 5-10 seconds there is stuttering, sounds like he restarts every 5-10 seconds. If we do a 'next track' to a "local mp3", the stuttering is gone.
If we listen to stream1 directly, without propp, there is no stuttering.
We have the stuttering on the soundcard, but also on a dummy sound (nosound device) which broadcasts on a stream. (so also without using a audio driver, this happens)
We tried stream1 with 128K mp3 stream, aac 64, aac 96...icecast, shoutcast(1 &2) ..all the same result.
If we restart the stream in proppfrexx (for example, next hour), then the stuttering is gone again for 5-10 minutes.
If we use 'line in' as input in proppfrexx, and we send the stream1 to that line in (so proppfrexx isn't processing the stream , but winamp is), then there is also no stuttering. (note: on the same machine, which also proves that the system isn't overloaded or something).
We increased the internet buffer to 10-15 seconds even, but also didn't help anything.

Any idea what could be the problem?
radio42
Site Admin
Re: internet stream stuttering

Post by radio42 »

That sounds strange. Trying it here with different streams, I can not experience any stuttering. Can you explain a bit more the setup and routing of your mixer
channels ?! May be it is related to that.
Meaning with what player are you playing the stream and how is the player router to. And how the other mixer channels involved are routed. Eg is the players mixer channel again routed to another mixer channel? Are different soundcards involved etc.?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Any news? Otherwise I guess it was a local issue on your side...?!
bschelst

Post by bschelst »

Hi,

Sorry for the late response, we have murphy walking around over here. (pc died also).
It's working fine now, but to be honest..I don't know why.
I tried to fix it step by step, so that I could find the root cause.
But after a while I just gave up, and did multiple things at the same time, and suddenly it works fine now...
The things which were modified are:
- Changed the url to m3u format (shouldn't make a difference?)
- Started with commercials/jingle instead of starting directly with the stream. (maybe this gives proppfrexx more time to really fill his buffer?)

Bart
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

All what you did shouldn't have changed anything with regards to the stuttering.
So maybe it was simply a temporary network issue...?
But glad it is working now!