Remote Voicetrack issue

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Joche
Remote Voicetrack issue

Post by Joche »

I tried to use remote voicetrack without downloading the files from the server since i have the exact same files int he exakt same libraries on my local mashine. Everything whent OK. I could listen to the songs while doing the voicetracking. But when I was reasy and uploaded PFOA started to also upload all the songs and jingles. Where did I do wrong? :)
Station manager | THE BEAT, Sweden | www.thebeat.se
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Remote Voicetrack issue

Post by radio42 »

Not sure how you did that, but the RVT doesn't maintain the server location once the playlist is downloaded! Instead an internal mapping file is used.
Thus it is required to download the audio tracks you are doing VT on and not to replace the downloaded tracks by any means.
Else the RVT might assume a new local file which needs to be uploaded to the server again.
Joche

Post by Joche »

What I did is that I choose not to download any audio files from the server but only the playlist files,
did my RVT and told it to upload and PFOA also uploaded all the VT-files and the audiofiles. Everything is unchanged in the audiofiles, I only added VT.
We have the same file structure locally as on the server and I thoght that choosing not to download the files would solve the problems of slow download. We have hosts on slow connection (about 6mbit down) and downloading a 2 hour RVT takes about an hour for that user.
And since the files is present in both ends I cant see why they have to be uploaded again.
Joche

Post by Joche »

Oh I see. So what you say is really that the thing I want to do is not possible?
i.e I want the enterprise server to create a playlist, i want it downloaded to the client, but I want to use the local audio files while doing the VT and only upload the VT recordings. Then choosing not to download the audio files I thought that meant it would use local referenses instead.
Since all the media libs are the same, and files located in the same directories and so on, I thought it would be easy.

Do you have a solution for our host with a real slow connection? They are not so fond to wait over an hour everytime they should do RVT.
Joche

Post by Joche »

Hello again,
Yes I had the "try to resolve" option checked in the options.

The thing that made me think that it would work the way I wanted it to was this information when holding the mouse over the checkbox for no audio files in the RVT-dialog.

I now assume that I did understand wrong. The workaround to only download the files you actually need is, well a workaround. But I would really prefer if it were possible to use the local media libs and only transfer playlist and RVT-recordnings over the internet. Put it on the wish list maybe? :-)
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Do you probably have the "Try to resolve Broken Playlist Entries via GUID" option (see general settings, section Playlist Settings) enabled on the client sie?
If yes, please deactivate this option and try again...

Also please report which ProppFRexx version you are using.

When starting a Remote Voice Tracking session and downloading the remote playlist only...that remote playlist will be placed in a new and empty folder and will by default contain for all normal remote audio files a path to a local file which gets a new random name.
Example:
The remote vt playlist will be placed to a folder called: "C:\Temp\20160411_1200"
and audio files will get a filename in that folder , e.g. called "00002000.mp3"

So I am wondering, how these files could be present and found on your system - as the above remote vt folder is empty and the local filenames are also not existing it sounds a bit impossible to me how you get your described results?!

Else, once you started you remote voice track session and the download is complete - please post me a zip of your entire remote voice track folder... especially the .rvt and .pfp.remote files!
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

That still doesn't explain how you managed things as you described them?!
Are you using that "Try to resolve Broken Playlist Entries via GUID" option?
A bit more details would be nice, otherwise it is hard to help! And you and me are just making false guesses!

The 'Playlist Only' mode means, that you can choose to only download those tracks, which are really necessary for your VoiceTracking, i.e. the previous and next track; but not always the full playlist...

The solution for slow connection is using the compression mode and to only download those tracks, which are really needed (using the 'Playlist Only' mode)...
...that way you wouldn't need to wait for an hour! Except the users still have a modem connection?
So that option is the right one to use and is working perfectly fine for a lot of users; I am wondering what network connection you users do have?
How long does downloading two 3 MB file take them? Even with a slow 1MB/sec connection it shouldn't be much longer than may be a minute!

However, the issue with NOT using local file references is, that there is no guarantee, that the local files are really the same (not only because they are having the same file name).
I might add an explicit option to always use local files if available, but today I do not see any real reason for it...
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Local files can never be guaranteed to be the same as on the server, that's why they will be uploaded.

The suggested way of working and downloading the files ad-hoc as needed - is not a suggested 'workaround' - this is how the RVT is designed! Again, I don't see any issue or limitation with it.
Please indicate, why downloading a compresses audio file version is of any disadvantage and what exact download speed we are talking about?!