Trouble with LAME encoding

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
RadioJohan
Trouble with LAME encoding

Post by RadioJohan »

Hi,

I'm having some problems I've not experienced before. I am about to stream on a shoutcastserver, but when I fill in all the information - it wont connect to the server, seems to be problem with the encoder. From what I've read in the forums, I seem to have the same problem as viewtopic.php?t=107 but I still don't get it to work. What to do?

The error-message reads "Encoder not active or a connction to the server..." but I havent encountered this problem before and the server is up, so what could've happend to LAME? And how do I fix this? I have tried re-installing ProppFrexx, re-installing LAME, tried the mp3sEncoder-solution suggested in the topic above - but nothing so far has worked to get the encoder working so I can stream...

Pleast help!
Thanks,
Johan
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Trouble with LAME encoding

Post by radio42 »

Maybe you you using unsupported LAME options. SO far it is working perfectly for hundreds of other users, so I expect, that it is a pure configuration issue. A few questions:
- Which exact ProppFrexx version are you using?
- What exact SHOUTcast server version are you using (is it a v1 or v2 server)?
- And what are your exact settings for:
a) your encoding profile
b) your encoder setup
c) your streaming server configuration

The above post was a very old v3 issue, which is already solved for over 3 years; so I doubt that this is the same now ;-)
RadioJohan

Post by RadioJohan »

Yeah, I know it's weird. Streaming (with LAME) has worked perfect for me before, so somewhere along the way something has gone wrong.

- I use PFOA v.4.0.2.8 and also tried re-installing PF, going back to some version earlier in the range of 4.0->.
- SHOUTcast Server Version 1.9.8/win32
- I have configured the encoding profile so it's the same as the stream-server 192kbps and 44,1.
- The executable in Generic Mp3 encoder-setup is lame.exe

- What kind om information do you mean by streaming server configuration? I'm not the one owning the server, but other people have no trouble connecting to it. And if there was a problem with the details in the stream config - wouldn't that result in a different error message?

Haha, yeah, i know it's old but it was the only thread I found that brought up the same problem as I'm having :P
RadioJohan

Post by RadioJohan »

Before is like a year ago. Some programes may have come and gone in that timeperiod.
I'm at work now, but I can get you som screenshots later! :)
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Basically what you have changed when it started to all of a sudden stop working...(e.g. when you say: it has worked before... what was changed? when is before?) e.g. a screenshot of your config dialogs...

Have you maybe installed a new firewall, anti-virus software or a like which now simply blocks the ProppFrexx internet access?
RadioJohan

Post by RadioJohan »

Trying it now, on a brand new fresh computer, and still get the same problem... :?

radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

If it is one year back... when did your streaming issue actually start with? Also just recently?
Maybe it is indeed due to updating some other components, like your windows version, an anti-virus update etc.
Tracking back an update issues with over a year seems to be almost impossible ;-)

So if you haven't already done so, please try to temporarily deactivate all firewalls and anti-virus components, to see, if some of them are blocking ProppFrexx from accessing your streaming server...
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I cannot reproduce that here.

Have you installed your own lame.exe or used the one which comes with the install?
And what are your streaming server settings?
When you click on the icon in the network monitor window you should get a detailed error dialog.

If nothing helps please take a look to your servers log if you can spot any connection errors. Maybe the server rejects the connection from the client?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Or have you maybe specified a StreamID in your config settings and thus use the v2 protocol even you use a v1 server?!
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

No News? Then I assume the issue is already solved and it was a settings issue.