mixer

This forum can be used to post any topics related to general broadcast questions, tech stuff, informations etc.
This forum is unmoderated!
Radiostar929
mixer

Post by Radiostar929 »

Bernd I have a mixer question.. We are trying to do a remote broadcsat. There ar 3 mixer channels of concern The output the monitor and the input. The mic comes up in the monototr and the input channels but not the output channel. is there anyway to input the mic into the output channels as well so the person on the remote side can hear it?
radio42
Site Admin
Re: mixer

Post by radio42 »

Of course. You can simply configure that in your mixer input channel configuration- see the ‚Output To‘ option. This routes the mixer input channel signal to the given mixer output channel.
Same can be achieved using the SND function.
Radiostar929

Post by Radiostar929 »

Hi Bernd,

Tried it with undesired results. The INPUT has the audio from ProppFrexx as well as mic so when you SND to OUTPUT the audio is being double fed out over the air and the mic went into and endless feedback loop that could only be stopped by cancelling the SND. Here's our current configuration which works for in studio operation with a guy, ProppFrexx and a mic:

OUTPUT of PC wired to a channel INPUT on the mixer.
Mic is wired on another channel on mixer.
MIXER OUTPUT is wired to PC INPUT.

I've also attached a diagram of the configuration and our Sound Settings in Proppfrexx.

Our remote equipment accesses the main studio PC and the audio that is fed is from the PC OUTPUT which as you see above is only The ProppFrexx audio.
We do not have an option to change that feed so we need to figure how to get the mic into the mix on the OUTPUT feed.

The talent in the field cannot hear the on air announcer so interaction is impossible if the studio mic cant be heard. Cant listen live because of latency.

We are willing to make any changes necessary if we are not configured properly. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Attachments
pless pf config.png
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Your mixer setup does not look okay.
MON and OUT seems to use the same device. I.e. when you play something via ProppFrexx this plays via these mixer output devices.
When you now also output your mixer input device (INP) you would of course create a feedback loop. The same would happen in the analog world. You cannot record what you are playing and in parallel listen to auch recording on the same device.
Ie. you need a different output device resp. a Multi-channel device.

In addition I would use the WASAPI driver and the same samole rate on each. Or better use ASIO for low latency, as else the input might be delayed.
Radiostar929

Post by Radiostar929 »

Bernd Can you please define a new outut device.. Are you talking about the streaming computer?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I am talking your a new mixer output channel using another sound card/output device!

When you play DJ A/B/C via the OUT mixer output channel... I assume you feed that to an external mixer... that external mixer also has a Mic connected and both signals (ProppFrexx players and the Mic) are mixed... finally the mixed signal is 'recorded' via a mixer input channel (INP) and streamed.

If you now also want to also 'listen' to that you 'record', i.e. you want to listen to what you 'hear' from INP... you have set the 'Output To' function to the MON mixer output channel. BUT your MON mixer output channel is using the same sound device as OUT - i.e. they are outputting the same... i.e. it again goes to your mixer etc. - a feedback loop is created!

Resolution: Your MON mixer output channel MUST use a different sound device! Do not use the same as OUT.

As I don't know your environment, I cannot tell you which one...
Radiostar929

Post by Radiostar929 »

Hi Bernd,
We understand what you are saying. However in our current situation SPEAKERS is our only computer audio output. You are preposing to set MON and OUTPUT differently but we lack a second OUTPUT and INPUT. Below is a picture of a device that allows us to add an additional INPUT and OUTPUT.If this device is what we need, how do we configure it? Should the mic be hooked up inclusively to this unit or can we split and parallel wire the mic into the console and this new unit? Do we untilize this new OUTPUT in any way?
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

If you only have one single output device, this is a physical limit ProppFrexx can not do anything about it.
It was your request on "how do do it" - so my answer is simply, that with your equipment, this is not possible and not even a limitation of ProppFrexx.

However, there is no need for you, as you could connect your headphones to your external mixer and listen to the final mix there!
I.e. no need for another output device logically, because you don't use ProppFrexx, but your mixer to listen to the final mix.