Amazon S3

You are missing a feature or need an enhancement? Post your suggestion here!
kzlosnik
Amazon S3

Post by kzlosnik »

Would be great if I could attach Amazon S3 storage directly to the ProppFrexx media library.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Amazon S3

Post by radio42 »

No object store support is planned for ProppFrexx.
The reason behind is, that a real file store is currently needed, i.e. TAG writing and even audio reading require random file positioning of pointers within the audio file. This is not supported by objects stores like S3. Meaning with an object store you can only read/write an entire file. Thus all operations would require to fully load an entire file into memory or always transfer it back and forth from/to the S3 storage to a temp file store ... quite IO heavy, slow and inefficient - but just in the way ProppFrexx works. For store once and mainly read-only operations an S3 Store might fit (e.g. Netflix, Soundcloud etc. use that), but for a radio station may personal take is, that it won't fit for all things.

The change would also be quite large and would even impact 3rd party libs, which I am using (these would need to support that as well) - thus I guess there will be no direct support for it in the very near future.