ProppFrexx Tagger - Default values

You found a bug or have any issues? Please post them here!
Wildo
Re: ProppFrexx Tagger - Default values

Post by Wildo »

Dear Bernd,

because you did not reply to my latest post, I'll assume you are not quite interested in further investigating into the different behaviours of the external and the internal tagger, are you?

I tried to replicate the problems I have with the external tagger AND the internal proppfrexx tagger. Before I do the work of writing down the whole situation, please let me know if you are interested in fixing the issues because otherwise I'll save my time.

Thanks.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I am, but you just made a statement and I roughly disagree resp. can not guarantee the same level of support I do for other product features, as already fully explain.

To explain again: I added playback support for zxtune files in ProppFrexx ONAIR and listed the limit it currently has: no TAG writing support.
This might come/be fixed in the future, but currently this has no priority.
I might also take a look to add zxtune support for the Tagger application in one of the next releases.
Wildo

Post by Wildo »

Maybe we should clear up terms before we're talking at cross purposes.
TAG is (from what I understand) data that is written (in)to files that natively supports tagging (such as MP3s or other formats).
MetaData is data, that is not usually native to a file and can live outside of the file itself and therefor is saved alongside the file it was defined for. With metadata you can describe files that have no native tag support. From what I understand, metadata is written to a file named "thefilename.pfmd" and can look something like this:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<MediaEntry version="1">
    <entryType>User2</entryType>
    <duration>334240</duration>
    <identifier>51291760-2096-4339-b06d-45b7b0e60028</identifier>
    <title>A Rocktale</title>
    <artist>16 Bit</artist>
    <genre>AmigaModule</genre>
    <rating>0</rating>
    <bitrate>4</bitrate>
    <tagType>256</tagType>
    <ci_freq>44100</ci_freq>
    <ci_chans>2</ci_chans>
    <ci_flags>-2145386496</ci_flags>
    <ci_ctype>-820183040</ci_ctype>
    <ci_origres>16</ci_origres>
    <bpm>83.867</bpm>
    <replayGain>0.532108068</replayGain>
    <replayPeak>0.9574585</replayPeak>
    <general />
    <cuePoints>
        <cueIn>0.89197278911564637</cueIn>
        <fadeOut>328.2293877551021</fadeOut>
        <next>329.7293877551021</next>
        <cueOut>334.2293877551021</cueOut>
    </cuePoints>
</MediaEntry>
Roughly spoken for every field of the tagging-dialogue, the pfmd-file has got an equivalent xml-tag where the data is stored, correct?
This works (almost) reliable with proppfrexx itself but it doesn't work with the external tagging tool (though it has nearly the same functions as the built in tagger).

Is the above described method what you mean with "TAG writing"? or is there a slight difference with TAG and meta data?

That's all I was wondering about because I thought the external tagger and the proppfexx internal tagger work exactly the same.

And again: I fully understand, that these things are NOT on your priority list and I am totally fine with that. No offense here.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

With TAG writing I mean saving meta data to either the audio file or or a .pfmd file.
The difference between TAG data and Meta Data is for ProppFrexx, that TAG data describes attributes of the music File, as described here: https://www.proppfrexx.radio42.com/foru ... hp?f=9&t=7
EG. Title, Artist etc.

Meta Data as a whole also contains all ProppFrexx specific attributes, like cue-points, volume envelopes etc.

However both can be either stored in the audio file TAGs and/or in a .pfmd file.

The ‘error’ message you referred to seems to be related to the zxtune files only, as I cannot relate or reproduce them for any other so far support audio format, eg. MP3, WAV, WMA, M4A, OGG, FLAC etc.

As such I don’t want to investigate to mich time in here, as I already noted, that there is no official TAG writing support for zxtune files.

If there is however an issue reproducible with standard file formats, just let me know. I have only limited zxtune test files and with these I do not get any error when saving .pfmd files. And support for the Tagger app might come on one day.
Wildo

Post by Wildo »

Ok got it now. Thanks for clarifying. I'll do some more tests and if I can reproduce a certain behaviour on my end, I'll let you know.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

That is appreciated - many thanks.