RS232 and airlab DT

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
tatje
RS232 and airlab DT

Post by tatje »

Hi,
I am trying to control rs232 via the com port of my Airlab ProppFrexx regarding fader start.
now I am so far that I receive characters in the GPIO/Remoting > serial 1/0 devices in the monitor when operating a fader, which consists of question marks and rectangles.
now my question is what should I enter in the regular expression field in the serial mesage mapping, the characters of the monitor, question marks and rectangles are not accepted here.

Regards, Tatje
radio42
Site Admin
Re: RS232 and airlab DT

Post by radio42 »

That is a good question ;-)
I also do not now the RS232 protocol of the Airlab.
You can use 0x?? to specify hexadecimal (binary) data - but first we need to know the exact protocol, e.g. the character or binary sequence the mixer is sending.
Do you know that? If not, you need to consult your Airlab vendor.
tatje

Post by tatje »

Hey,
This is stated on the D&R wiki site.
http://www.mambanet.org/wiki/dokuwiki/d ... tart:start

but I still don't understand what to enter.

Regards, Tatje
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Now I see what you mean and what exact mixer you are using.
First, this is a binary RS232 protocol, which is not easy resp.impossible (I never tried it actually) to configure, as the current reg-ex mainly works for line oriented and character based protocols - actually none uses a RS232 protocols these days.

The good news is, that tje Airlab is 100% compatible with the Airence i.e. NO NEED TO USE THE RS232 interface!
You can directly use the GPIO Client with the Airence protocol/interface, as this is exactly the same as the Airlab.
The D&R AirLab is using the exact same USB lib as the Airence - thus we are fully compatible - as ProppFrexx supports the Airence USB lib - and as that USB lib is the exact same as the one used for the Airence, I also do support the AirLab.
This is even shown on the D&R web-site ;-)
tatje

Post by tatje »

The problem is that we have an airlab DT that does not contain a Control section Module and so we have to rely on the rs232.
So I'm looking for how to control the fader start via the rs232.

Regards, Tatje
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I am afraid, that with the current serial implementation and the very old and binary protocol of the Airlab this as said either difficult or impossible.
Can you send me the Monitor Output when you press a button - then I might take a look, if there is anything possible.
But I can not guarantee, if that really works or is even possible…
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

I have just released a new v4.2.6.10-beta (so 'Check for Beta-Versions...' under the blue question mark at the top right).

In the Serial GPIO settings, see the general settings, I added a new 'Binary Regular Expression' mode, which you might try.
For binary regular expressions use the x00 hexadecimal notation for each byte to map, e.g. x45xA1xFF to map the bytes 45, 161 and 255. Also the Monitor mode would now print the output in hex mode this way - so you might better test, what you receive, when you press a buton.

As the Airlab DT doc you posted is not very detailed, I can only tell, that it is expected to receive 3 bytes per command:
1st byte is the Action.
2nd byte is the Channel.
3rd byte is the Data.
The content is also not clear to me, but I assume, something like this:
When you press the On Switch on channel 1, you might receive: x80x01x01
For Fader Start on channel 1, you might receive: x82x01x01

As the regular you exactly specify this: e.g. x82x01x01

But as said, please test yourself and consult the Airlab documentation for the serial command values.
tatje

Post by tatje »

Thank you Bernd,
We'll get on with it and try it out.

Regards, Tatje
tatje

Post by tatje »

Hi Bernd,
I got the protocol of the rs232 from D&R Airlab.
How can I dump the pdf file here.

Regards, Tatje
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

You can mail it to me…